Carers — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


Petrina Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi does anyone know how you go about getting money for someone looking after you .


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi @Petrina
    A carer could get £64.60 a week if  they care for someone at least 35 hours a week and that person get certain benefits.

    There is more information about Carers Allowance here:


    The person you care for

    The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment

    Your eligibility

    You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:

    • 50% of your pension contributions
    • some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work

    All of the following must also apply:

    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you’re not subject to immigration control
    To make a claim for Carers Allowance, go to this link.
    Senior online community officer
  • Petrina
    Petrina Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Can someone get it if they are working
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,733 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't claim any money for someone that looks after you. As advised in the post above, a person can claim carers allowance for you. To claim this you must be claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance allowance.

    The person that's looking after you will claim the carers allowance for their self but they can't claim this if they work 16 hours or more per week and earn more than £120 per week.
  • Grahamb
    Grahamb Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Don't forget that when you collect a your old age pension you lose carers allowance immediately. You carry on caring, you get older and more infirm, suffer stress, sleeplessness and illness yourself and also the cared for person and you will get nothing more than your pension. Some life!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,733 Disability Gamechanger
    You get an underlying entitlement to CA. This means you it can increase any means tested benefits you're already getting, or it can mean you'll become entitled to them for the first time.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.