Help to stop claiming ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help to stop claiming ESA

NatalieJ Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I am a single parent of a teenager and I have been off work with ptsd following a sexual assault. I still have ptsd but I have developed my own products and have promises of orders from big stores and have built a website to sell my product. I want to stop claiming esa as I will be working full time but I will still have all the same issues with mobility anxiety etc that means I need a lot of extra help so I'd like to keep my dla. 
The thought of even speaking to the job centre or going there makes me feel really uncomfortable as they have been really cold and nasty to me in the past and inappropriate, one advisor said i didn't look disabled etc. He also proceeded to make sexual comments and touch my leg which i reported and it wasn't dealt with in 2007.He was the lone parent advisor , supposed to offer help and he messed up my forms and lost me tax credits.
Is there anyone who can help me with the process? Thanks.


  • NatalieJ
    NatalieJ Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Forgot to add have been through hell with atos assessments and having to be appeal being fit for work an dbe sanctioned for long periods. my benefits were stopped completely because i was too unwell to speak on the phone. They gave me a further breakdown. I actually can't cope with speaking to the jc.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,103

    Scope community team

    edited January 2019
    Great to meet you and welcome to the community. Are you in receipt of DLA or PIP?

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @NatalieJ   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. So sorry what went through. Shocked to hear  this.

    You have come to the right place.

    I am one of the team of community champions. Who guide, inform and advise new members who join.

    Please may I advise you need to apply for PIP. DLA the previous benefit is being phased out.

    You will need to apply.

    Have a look at our on benefit checkerFind out more information about Benefits on our website.

    Have you contacted any  Business Advisors. In your area. Usually run by Councils.

    Many local councils have people who can help you with in relation to your business.  Especially those who are disabled or have health conditions and wish to set up a business.

    In your area where you live County Councils issue a booklet of services. Mine does has a Business section. 

    You could also contact CAB for Business and anything else you need. 

    We are friendly.  Please ask if we can help and advise on anything. Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

    Good luck and wish you every success. 

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NatalieJ

    Good Afternoon it's great to meet you today ? ? ? ? 

    I am very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

    Do you have a local "CAB" as they should be helpful ????? 

    We have got our own helpline: "0808 800 3333"

    Please please let me know if I can help you????? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,335 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're planning on returning to work full time then you'll need to report those changes to the DWP. Is the work just starting or have you been working previously? You really do need to report those changes otherwise you'll have an overpayment, which you'll need to repay back. I know ringing them is scary but it's only to stop your ESA benefit. Unfortunately because it's your claim then you'll need to ring them yourself. If you have a family member or friend near you then it's possible that you ring them to go through security and then tell them you're passing the phone onto someone else to speak on your behalf.

    Do you claim housing benefit and council tax reduction? If so then you'll also need to report those changes to your local council and also to HMRC if you claim any tax credits. There will be 4 week run on of housing benefit too.

    If you're already claiming tax credits then it maybe possible to claim the disabled element of working tax credits, which is extra money.

    I wish you good luck with your work and hope it works out for you.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,838 Connected
    As yet you don’t seem to have started work nor be doing work in expectation of payment I’m not clear there’s any change to report as yet. A promise is not an order. It strikes me that if your anxiety levels mean you’ll struggle with JCP and a simple declaration of a change of circs. I would be seeking medical and business advice on whether you’re ready to go straight from ESA to FT work without first seeing how you cope with small amounts of work. One way of doing this would be through the permitted work scheme.

    Coming off ESA means that were your business not go to plan you would only be able to claim UC and, depending on your circumstances, could be worse off than you are now. UC does not have an equivalent to permitted work. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.