Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
Will returning form ESA3(IBR) will result in my claim being changed to CB ESA to Income related ESA?
I have been in the support group for contributions based ESA since I was transferred there from incapacity benefit when it was phased out.
I recently received form ESA3(IBR) from DWP which is a means test to see if I qualify for extra money, which it seems I do since I do not/ have not had ,savings etc. over £6000 since 2013 . DWP calls these payments "premiums".
I know that many people were transferred from Incapacity benefit to Contrib ESA instead of Income based ESA which has resulted in them receiving lower benefits than they are entitled to.
My confusion relates to whether returning form ESA3(IBR) will result in my claim being changed
from contributions based ESA to Income related ESA and what the consequences of that might be in the future.
I am very anxious about changes to benefits which I rely on to survive.
I hope that if/when I return the form ESA3(IBR) and if/when I receive any "premiums" I will remain on Contributions based ESA (with "premiums:) and not be transferred to Income based ESA.
As I understand it Income related ESA will be replaced by Universal Credit and I can't
face the form filling and delays in payments that this change will bring.
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
- 48.3K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.9K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 619 Work and employment
- 516 Education
- 939 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 905 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.1K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 577 Chronic pain and pain management
- 636 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 688 Autism and neurodiversity
- 819 Mental health and wellbeing
- 284 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.