Will returning form ESA3(IBR) will result in my claim being changed to CB ESA to Income related ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will returning form ESA3(IBR) will result in my claim being changed to CB ESA to Income related ESA?

confused2019
confused2019 Community member Posts: 3 Listener

I have been in the support group for contributions based ESA since I was transferred there from incapacity benefit when it was phased out.

I recently received form ESA3(IBR) from DWP which is a means test to see if I qualify for extra money, which it seems I do since I do not/ have not had ,savings etc. over £6000 since 2013 .   DWP calls these payments "premiums".

I know that many people were transferred from Incapacity benefit to Contrib ESA instead of Income based ESA which has resulted in them receiving lower benefits than they are entitled to.

My confusion relates to whether returning form ESA3(IBR) will result in my claim being changed
from contributions based ESA to Income related ESA and what the consequences of that might be in the future.

I am very anxious about changes to benefits which I rely on to survive.
I hope that if/when I return the form ESA3(IBR) and if/when I receive any "premiums" I will remain on Contributions based ESA (with "premiums:) and not be transferred to Income based ESA.
As I understand it Income related ESA will be replaced by Universal Credit and I can't
face the form filling and delays in payments that this change will bring.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments

• confused2019
    Thanks for the link Steve 51.
    Unfortunately it is still not clear to me from the link whether I will I will remain on Cesa and be paid "premiums" or if my claim will be changed to IResa.
    It seems to me that interpretation of the word "premium" is crucial.
    Any further help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If successful then you'll be claiming Contributions based with an income related top up. This that any savings/capital you have in the future won't affect the contributions based part of your claim. (£110.75 per week)

With the Income related top up, you'll also qualify for free NHS treatment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • confused2019
    Thanks for your reply Poppy,
    I remain anxious about ESA3(IBR).
    I telephoned DWP regarding the form and possible consequences.
    The DWP man on the phone told me that, if ESA3 was accepted, I would be switched to Income based ESA from Contrib ESA because "You can't be on both".
    This is very worrying, did the DWP man give me the wrong advice? Because it
    is contrary to the advice that you have given.
    I mean no disrespect to you or your advice but I remain anxious, especially
    having just received a reminder letter from DWP about returning ESA3(IBR).
    Thanks once again
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi,

You've been advised incorrectly by the person you spoke to on the phone. DWP advisers aren't the best people to ask for advice like this because they're mostly reading from a screen.

For ESA you can either be on Contributions based, Income related or Contributions based with an income related top up. As you're in the Support Group then you'll be on Contributions based with an income related top up. You won't be moved to all Income related because Contributions based comes before Income related.

If in the future your circumstances change and you have savings/capital or other household income then the only part you'll lose in the Income related top up. You'll get to keep the Contributions based part, which from April 2018 is £110.75 per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.