Support Workers Parking — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Support Workers Parking

telscope Member Posts: 37 Connected
Hi Scope, 
Due to having Epilepsy, I cannot drive & I have support workers who drive me around to go shopping & hospital, just to name 2 of the activities they help me with, but I am not sure if I can apply for a Blue Badge, because of this reason, making it less stressful for myself. Can you help me on this subject please? 


  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 406 Pioneering
    A blue badge relates to the individual person (you) rather than a particular vehicle and so in the first instance you should contact you local council as it is they who issue badges.  There is an online form you can fill in or there will be a paper version and that is where you need to tell them the issues you have with mobility.  Different councils do seem to have different thresholds, so having epilepsy may well not, in itself, qualify you for a badge.  But if there are reasons why you need to be able to park near where you are going etc then you can explain those on the application. 
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Most councils send applicants for blue badges for an acessment to acess their mobility problems and issues. So do not be surprised if you are refused a blue badge.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Member Posts: 406 Pioneering
    Certainly here it is all done on paper but they may ask for infomrtaion from your GP or similar
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @telscope, if you decide to proceed, you can begin your application here. Do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can!

    There's also some great information on eligibility on the Citizens Advice website.

    You don't need to be able to drive to apply for a Blue Badge, unless you're applying because of problems with your arms. 

    Follow the advice on this page to renew your Blue Badge, too. You can’t use an expired badge, so make sure you apply for a new one as early as possible. You can ask your council when to submit your renewal.

    Who can get a Blue Badge 

    You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you:
    • are registered as blind
    • get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment - check your decision letter if you’re not sure
    • get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement 
    • received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
    If you're not automatically eligible

    It's worth applying as you might still be able to get a badge. You'll have to fill in an extra part of the application to show why you need one. 
    You should do this if:
    • you have problems walking that are permanent, or that your doctor says are likely to last at least a year
    • you can't use your arms
    • you're applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.