Accessible Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Accessible Housing

sprkmac Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello, my husband has recently has a leg amputated and our flat is not suitable, can you offer me any advise on what to do next. He cannot use bathroom or toilet as doors are to small for wheelchair, this being the last 3 months what can i apply for re: benefits etc....... sorry im such a novice at this. Reet


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,497 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear this.

    Do you privately rent or  from social housing, or own your own home? If you rent from social housing then you'll need to speak to them. If you rent privately then you may have no option but to find somewhere more suitable to your husbands needs.

    You can also refer your husband for a needs assessment, if this hasn't already been done.

    As for benefits then it will depend on a lot of things like household income, pensions, do you work? Does your husband claim DLA/ PIP or attendance allowance? Are you both working age or pension age? With no information it's impossible to advice further on this. I'd advise you to go to your local CAB with all your details and they'll do a full benefits check for you.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.