esa and pip assessment getting stressed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa and pip assessment getting stressed

stevenheather
stevenheather Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Hello everyone

this is all getting too much....... my councillor and MHU are great and trying to help me but i think i am trying to do too much 

blue badge F2F assessment then 2 weeks later PIP F2F assessment, now ESA form and maybe F2F assessment to renew my ESA
this has real taken its toll not sleeping and depression and anxiety getting worse 

i have been on ESA for about 4 years and after the dreaded F2F they put on support and disability groups £127.15
i have never been to any more F2F with ESA and just get a letter each year

My councillor got me to applied for a disabled parking blue badge that i got and PIP
 2 weeks ago i went and had my face to face that was very stressful.
I called did DWP to add changes on my medication and he said i should get full benefit for PIP from the report he was reading
I suffer from chronic back pain and depression, anxiety and panic attacks and this is all getting a bit too much....

Friday i got a letter in the post,  a form from ESA asking me to fill in a capability for work questionnaire and and maybe another F2F ....

I was not expecting this at all and thought my life could settle down a bit

my question is can ESA and PIP talk and use the same F2F and questionnaire ??
Its my fault but i sent of original supporting evidence with the PIP

no where on any ESA paperwork did they say about re assessment period.!!!

do PIP and ESA not talk

thanks 

steve

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For ESA they can re-assess you at anytime. Decision letters for ESA never have length of time on them because of this reason. Not having had an assessment for 4 years is very lucky, the longest i've gone between assessments is 3 years.

Unfortunately, the form you received for ESA does need to be filled in an returned no later than the date stated on the letter. Failure to return it on time and they'll find you fit for work for failing to return the form. There's no extension of time for this form either, which makes it even more stressful. I feel for you, this happened to me 2 years ago and both forms came through my door within days of each other.

When filling out the form you need to make sure you put down as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Expect another face 2 face assessment for this too i'm afraid because most people have them. It will be worth knowing the reasons why you were previously placed into the Support Group and if those reasons still apply then you can based filling out your form on this.

PIP and ESA and different benefits and they don't look at the PIP when assessing you for ESA. You'll need to send evidence to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. This is the reasons why you should always send copies of evidence so that you have it to use the next time. They also never return any evidence you send.

I'm assuming you haven't had your PIP decision yet? I'm not sure why your were told that you should get full PIP by an adviser from DWP. They're not allowed to do this, when a decision hasn't been made.

For the PIP you can ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Do be careful when ringing DWP to report changes like new or extra medication because this is classed as a change of circumstances and a new form could be sent to you, this has happened to lots of people. There's no need to ring DWP everytime you have new medication.

There's lot of guides on the internet to help with filling out the ESA form or you can make an appointment at your local advice centre for help to fill it out.

Information in links for Support Group descriptors and reg 35.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stevenheather
    Hi Poppy

wow and thank you for your help, its a minefield and I just need to take it one step at a time.
    i will do bits of the form at a time when feeling better.

thank you very much again

steve
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome. Yes, indeed it is a minefield. ESA is always the worst one for me. I was re-assessed again in October 2018, so i know how you're feeling. I did a little of my form at a time too. Please make sure that you take into consideration the posting times when returning the form. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Pip is nowt to do with esa it’s a disgrace all this **** esa are doing it has you worried can’t sleep ill it’s a **** joke 
  • poppy123456
    That's because they're different benefits, with different criteria. People claim PIP and work, ESA is for those with a limited capability for work.
  • stevenheather
    yes dotty, i know and feel for everyone who is in the same boat

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.