Disability aids, equipment and technology
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can't get my wheelchair out of my house

bigade53bigade53 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I have severe rhumatoid and osteoarthritis, both knees need replacing. I have to use electric wheelchair to go out but as doorframes on my front and porch door go across the bottom as well i cant get wheelchair over without damaging the frame.  Wheelchair is 80kg . Has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to overcome it.  Basicly means i can only go out if 2 of my sons lift wheelchair out of house over to frames and down 2 single steps. Then i follow as best i can with a wheeled walker and suffer some terrable pain when i have to put any weight at all on my left knee.  Occupational therapy wont help as its my own house and my daughter still lives at home so they tell me. I can use a board to drive down step but i dont want to damage doorframes . 


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,760 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bigade53 welcome to the community! 

    Have you heard of Portaramp? They specialise in ramps, might be worth looking at :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bigade53
    Have you looked into a Disabled Facilities Grant?

    "You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:
    • widen doors and install ramps
    • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
    • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
    • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
    How much you get depends on your:
    • household income
    • household savings over £6,000
    You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:
    • own the property or be a tenant
    • intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)
    Apply through your local council.
    The council may send an occupational therapist round to see you. They’ll check your circumstances and see what changes you need."

    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering
    Hi @bigade53

    There is normally a ramp solution suitable for overcoming a door frame and a couple of steps. To get a flavour of some of the options on the market take a look at:  https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/wheelchair-ramps?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3vGL06uE4AIVCcqyCh1t_g1cEAAYASABEgJfafD_BwE

    I'm surprised that your Community OT wasn't able to advise on a suitable ramp even if they weren't able to supply. As Sam has stated above getting a ramp provided by the OT is often funded via a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). 

    DFG's are means-tested but owning your own home or having a none dependent adult living in the house wouldn't normally be automatic barriers to getting a DFG providing you met the means-test criteria.

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.