Esa declined — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Esa declined

netbet67 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, l hope someone can help me. I've been of sick from work for more than 6 months and sick pay has been stopped. I applied for esa   and received a letter today saying it had been de lined due to the pension l am receiving. I left work on ill health retirement.

I thought esa wasn't income related?? Is there still the 2 types or is it now universal credit?

Please help as I'm very confused and getting mixed info on the internet.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,395 Disability Gamechanger

    There used to be 2 types of ESA, Income related and Contributions based. Contributions based is where you've paid enough NI contributions in the 2 years previous to your claim. Pensions over £85 per week affect the amount you can claim.

    Income related is means tested and household income, savings, capital, pensions etc affect this.

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @netbet67! I hope the above guidance from Poppy is helpful, and do feel free to come back to us with any further questions.
  • netbet67
    netbet67 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you.very helpful.

    What is the new style esa?

    If l claim the contributions based esa , what is the maximum pension l can receive before it stops esa completely ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,395 Disability Gamechanger
    New style ESA is for those that have paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. It's replaced Contributions based, same thing, different name.

    For pension over £85 per week your ESA is reduced by half this amount. So for every £1 over the £85 the ESA is reduced by 50p. New style ESA is £73.10 per week, assessment rate. I'm afraid i have no idea what maximum pension would be to reduce the ESA to zero. A benefits calculator may help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.