Enhanced/standard — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enhanced/standard

Options
greatdanemia
greatdanemia Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Following a successful award of PIP I received the enhanced rate for mobility but only the standard rate for care.
Due to a small private pension I don't qualify for any other benefits so pay for all prescriptions , dental care  and eye tests /glasses.
It's getting tight constantly in overdraft , with no access to credit.
Could I appeal the care award separately from the mobility component?
Would I lose everything while I await the appeal?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is not a benefit to supplement your income, it a benefit to help with your daily care and mobility problems and issues. When you reach 60 yes of age you will qualify for free prescriptions.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are quite right wilko. Many people just see PIP or DLA as extra money to live off with no recognition of what it is paid for.
    I have seen in action, people try to claim PIP/DLA simply and only to get around the benefit cap.

• greatdanemia
    Options
    It's easy isn't it to sit in judgement on people who through only their inability to express themselves clearly are presented as scroungers.
    Ah what gilded lives you both must lead.
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Options
    I agree with you greatdanemia, I’m having same issues but with DWP, after getting enhanced Care & standard mobility. It feels to me, because in their view I can communicate, I kept eye contact for a 45min assessment,  I can plan a journey & I showed no evidence of anxiety or depression. Ridiculous. If they had read up on my health conditions, they would see, it does cause those problems & if they spent a week with me, they’d see how bad I get! I was on enhanced for both on DLA for 11 years!! Tribunal it is then. Hope you get some decent advice greatdanemia! Xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's easy isn't it to sit in judgement on people who through only their inability to express themselves clearly are presented as scroungers.
    Ah what gilded lives you both must lead.
    Not at all.
    It's a simple fact and a misunderstanding that PIP is paid to increase the household budget. 
    It is also a well known fact that if people are affected by the benefit cap there is an incentive to put in a claim for PIP. Getting any award automatically removes the benefit cap. This was certainly the case over the past 5 years in London where Housing Benefit was restricted to well below the rent being charged.
  • greatdanemia
    Options
    What's the tribunal procedure?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @greatdanemia, you can find out more about appealing DWP decisions here. 

If you're not already entitled to free prescriptions, you may be interested in the NHS help with health costs scheme too.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What's the tribunal procedure?
    Mandatory Reconsideration is the first step to appeal and without first requesting this, the Tribunal won't accept your appeal.

No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award and you'll need face to face advice for this, from an advice centre near you.

When requesting the MR or Tribunal they look at the whole award again and not just part of it.

You need to look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can score those extra points needed for Enhanced daily living. If you can't score the extra points then it's pointless requesting the MR. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.