SDA allowance- backdating — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

SDA allowance- backdating


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,465 Disability Gamechanger

    SDA no longer exists and can no longer be claimed. This was a benefit that was available before Incapacity benefit.

    What you're talking about here is SDP, severe disability premium.
    If all of those that live with you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you'll be entitled to claim the SDP, providing no one claims carers allowance for looking after you. If there's anyone in your house over the age of 18 who's not a dependent young person and doesn't claim a qualifying benefit then you won't be entitled to SDP.

    You say you claim carers allowance for one of them? If the one you're claiming carers allowance for claims ESA then this person won't be entitled to the SDP because you claim carers allowance for looking after them. For them to be entitled to the SDP you'll need to cancel your carers allowance claim. Face to face advice is needed for this.

    The new PIP rules that were introduced last year. DWP are currently in the process of reviewing every single claim from a certain date. Once they have reviewed people they write to them with their decision. Your eldest son/daughter doesn't have to do anything but bare in mind that there's many 1000's of claims to go through so it could be quite some time before they hear anything.
  • caterina1234567
    caterina1234567 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hiya Poppy - many thanks for your very helpful advice ! ?
    I think that’s what’s got me confused so many times - I always thought it was SDA not SDP !  Great ploy on the dwp part using such very similar abbreviations ! 
    No I claim Carers Allowance for my other child who’s still at school so no one claims anything for me ! 
    How do you think it would stand if one of my other older children was away temporarily at Uni during term times only but to all intent and purposes still lived at home where they still had their bedroom with all their things in and they always came back and lived back home for all the holidays etc ?  
    Would the DWP still regard them as being there so as there would be no entitlement for me for SDP ? 
    It gets so confusing ! ☹️

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,465 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries. Yes, a lot of people get confused and still call it SDA.

    Regarding your other son/daughter in uni. It will depend where they classed as living. Do they have a tenancy agreement for where they live at uni? Is there address still classed as living with you? Bank account, letters come to yours etc?

    Are you renting your home? Do you still claiming for a bedroom for them? or did you lose this when they went to uni?  Or are you affected by the bedroom tax, if you rent from social housing?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.