Loss of entitlement - SDP and on transistional protection — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Loss of entitlement - SDP and on transistional protection

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No, losing the SDP wouldn't prompt a move to UC unless a change of circumstances prompted a move and this isn't classed as a change of circumstances. Also a person is still entitled to SDP when a young person reaches 18 as long as they're still in full time non advanced education and still receiving child benefit for them. The only time SDP will stop is when the young person reaches their 20th birthday because tax credits and child benefit stops at that point.

Transitional protection is different and hasn't yet been put in place. This starts sometime this year and means that when people do start to move across to UC there will be the transitional protection in place so they're not any worse off (so they say but we'll see)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 172 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    No because that doesn't qualify the parent/s for child benefit/tax credit because it's paid employment. This means the person claiming the SDP will lose it if the young person still lives at home.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    No problem. There's no transitional protection in place for anyone yet. Losing the SDP is not classed as a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. You'll continue to claim the ESA/housing benefit.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    As always, you're very welcome. :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.