Work allowance. How does it work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work allowance. How does it work?

johnstirzaker
johnstirzaker Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,
i am after some advice oh how work allowance works on universal credit. 
I am 50 yrs old and have worked all my life and never claimed anything. Over the years I have suffered with anxiety. Then back in aug 2018 I suffered a stroke at work. I have got most of my movement back ok but suffer with severe fatigue and my anxiety levels have gone through the roof. I’m on a mixture of medication whitchI think also doesn’t help with the fatigue. Reluctantly I had to claim UC and was awarded it after a few months of waiting. Then after my assessment was awarded the lcwra element. 
I want to at some point eventually go back to work and have read about the work allowance on UC. It says you can earn around £400 a month without it affecting my claim. 
Surly that’s s contradiction in terms of they have assessed me and said I am not fit for work but I can earn £400 without being penalised. 
I really would like to maybe look for a part time job around 10 hrs a week to start just to get me out of the house and see how I cope. But I am so scared in case they knock me off the lcwra because they think I’m fit for work and I can’t manage it. 
Is this a ploy by UC to see if people on sick can actually go to work. 
Could anybody give me some info on this, or has anybody else claimed work relief in the same boat as me. 
Many thanks
regards
john. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The work allowance will depend on your circumstances. If you claim the housing element part of UC then your work allowance will be £198 per month.

If you don't claim the housing element part then your work allowance is £409 per month.

Which ever one applies to you it means that you can earn that amount of money per month without it affect any of your UC money.

Is there a catch you say?? sort of yes. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why your claiming LCWRA then they could re-assess you early and it could affect the decision they make. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.