Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Work allowance. How does it work?

johnstirzakerjohnstirzaker Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,
i am after some advice oh how work allowance works on universal credit. 
I am 50 yrs old and have worked all my life and never claimed anything. Over the years I have suffered with anxiety. Then back in aug 2018 I suffered a stroke at work. I have got most of my movement back ok but suffer with severe fatigue and my anxiety levels have gone through the roof. I’m on a mixture of medication whitchI think also doesn’t help with the fatigue. Reluctantly I had to claim UC and was awarded it after a few months of waiting. Then after my assessment was awarded the lcwra element. 
I want to at some point eventually go back to work and have read about the work allowance on UC. It says you can earn around £400 a month without it affecting my claim. 
Surly that’s s contradiction in terms of they have assessed me and said I am not fit for work but I can earn £400 without being penalised. 
I really would like to maybe look for a part time job around 10 hrs a week to start just to get me out of the house and see how I cope. But I am so scared in case they knock me off the lcwra because they think I’m fit for work and I can’t manage it. 
Is this a ploy by UC to see if people on sick can actually go to work. 
Could anybody give me some info on this, or has anybody else claimed work relief in the same boat as me. 
Many thanks


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    The work allowance will depend on your circumstances. If you claim the housing element part of UC then your work allowance will be £198 per month.

    If you don't claim the housing element part then your work allowance is £409 per month.

    Which ever one applies to you it means that you can earn that amount of money per month without it affect any of your UC money.

    Is there a catch you say?? sort of yes. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why your claiming LCWRA then they could re-assess you early and it could affect the decision they make. Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.