Pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

samtoots
samtoots Community member Posts: 1 Listener
ive just lost my car on motabilty  as pip have put me on standard rate I've put in a md last week how long can I keep the car for does anyone know ive been  on the scheme since 2005

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You'll need to ring motability and they'll explain all your options.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leefren
    leefren Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    I got a letter from motability last November and they gave me 2 months to give car back and get £2000, and up until May and get £500, I chose may and its still paid for until then, but ring and make sure 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @samtoots, and so sorry to hear this. Glad to see you've had some guidance from our community members.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Be aware, if in the future your partner receives enhanced mobility  and applies for another Motability car  they will demand  not ask, for the arrears  I. E. From the time the mobility element ended to when you handed the car back. I would add  they (motability) do not make this clear in any of the documents or discussions you may have with them. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Pre the date that Motability decided to compensate people that have lost their enhanced PIP, the car went back within days.

I had  Motability cars whilst on DLA for years but when I moved over to PIP in 2013 I was given 0 points. The car was returned to the garage within 24 hours of being told of that decision and the only 'compensation' received was £200. This happened twice more after winning an appeal and being re-assessed.

Being told that you can keep it for another 8 weeks and get £2000 seems a good deal from my point of view.

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Shall I put this into perspective? 8 weeks, is two months full motability, so, if you keep the car the £2000 is reduced by some £465 if you apply, in the future, for another car. Do the maths over 5 months. You will end up giving motability more than you got back from them when you returned the car. Even if you got the lower rate increased to enhanced six months later, it is a no win situation  
  • leefren
    leefren Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    It might be a good deal, I would rather have got enhanced and kept the car, after I do and it back I am going to find it hard to get to the many hospital and Drs appointments that I have, and will probably gave to miss some, putting my health at risk
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    leefren said:
    It might be a good deal, I would rather have got enhanced and kept the car, after I do and it back I am going to find it hard to get to the many hospital and Drs appointments that I have, and will probably gave to miss some, putting my health at risk
    We no longer have a car as they took my PIP enhanced mobility away from me early last year. Like you we worried about how to get about. However we then looked at buses (free due to age - 70 & 75) taxis, friends and family. Also the hospitals have a system of drivers that can pick us up and take us back home.

A whole new world opened up for us and we have not lost our independence.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.