Granted permission to appeal at Upper Tribunal for PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Granted permission to appeal at Upper Tribunal for PIP decision

Options
mobbba
mobbba Community member Posts: 34 Connected
My application to move from DLA to PIP was in January 2017.  I was turned down by DWP, I went through the channels and eventually had a First Tier tribunal hearing on 7th March 2018.

I had DLA hrm and lrc. This was reduced at the tribunal to no points on PIP. I appealed the decision and was refused. I asked to apply to the Upper Tier tribunal and was refused.

I applied to the Upper Tier tribunal for permission to appeal and  I received the letter from the Upper Tier tribunal granting permission to appeal the decision today.

The Upper Tribunal have stated that the ''First Tier tribunal erred materially in law in the decision to which it came on 7th March 2018'' They cited several case law cases.

They have asked DWP to comment within one month on the points the Judge has made.  Can someone advise me what will happen next?

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,240 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You'll most likely be given another hearing date with a totally different panel. How long this can take will depend on back log in your area. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mobbba
    Options
    poppy123456  Thank you for your reply.  I was looking online and it was saying that a First Tier tribunal decision can be overturned on points of law by the Upper tribunal judge. As the Judge has referred to at least three points of law and questioned the answers from the assessor, could this happen?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This post really worries me.

Firstly we have vulnerable claimants that see a Tribunal as an impossible task to contemplate. They are persuaded to appeal citing the fact that the Tribunal will look to see what the right decision should have been they are independent. 
    Then here we find the Tribunal has erred in law?

Doesn't do much for confidence in the system.

And besides how would people know if the Tribunal's decision was right - are we all expected to have the strength and ability to go to the Upper Tribunal?
  • mobbba
    Options
    Its just over two years since this all started with the transfer from DLA to PIP form.

The assessor lied on her assessment of me. The DWP believed the assessor, the First Tier tribunal based their decision on the assessors report, despite me having medical evidence to back up all my claim.  In fact the tribunal judge lied on her report.

Now the Upper tribunal are saying no one looked at my evidence.  I am a completely different person since this started, completely within myself. I lost my car and have almost lost my mind fighting this.

One time, someone will take the DWP to justice. Assessors lying, DWP ignoring medical evidence, judges lying.  Its a mess
  • Gary01522
    Gary01522 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    This seems to be par for the course. I wonder how many others like me are to afraid to contest the decision. The bosses of those assessor are compliant or at least pushing to reduce any payments possible.
    Why is there no decision to sack those who put us through hell.
    Or are they on a bonus scheme.
    One would think the money come out of their own pockets and not the tax we have paid for many years.  are we supposed to be one of the rich nations ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.