Help and advice with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help and advice with PIP

AntonHealth Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone.

I would like to start by saying that I have an invisible illness which I was diagnosed with paranoid Schizophrenia back in 2003! That 15 years has been a real struggle! I had to do things that people are expected to do? There are time where I hear voices in my head and I get really low because of that! I sometimes think that life is not worth living but I have got to pull myself out of it! Which I do with great difficulty! All I am asking is that I had a mini stroke 2 days before Christmas last year and when I phone the DWP concerning my change of condition? They told me that I have to apply for PIP! I am NOT looking forward to the next few weeks where my paranoia is at an all time high concerning the upcoming assessment? I have people who I associate who have been really supportive and I am really great full.

All I was to ask is that what would I expect at the assessment if I have to go to one? And would I expect a supportive and fair assessor please?

Thank you.



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,508 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm assuming you are currently claiming DLA and rang to report the mini stroke? This would be classed as a change of circumstances and the reasons why you've now been asked to apply for PIP.

    For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. This means that if the mini stroke has affected you then they won't take this into consideration for 3 months after.

    I don't know what stage you are with your application but if you haven't yet sent the form then when filling it out you need to put down as much information as possible. Explain is as much detail as you can about how your conditions affect you for each descriptor that applies. On separate sheets of paper add 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Don't forget to add your name and NI number to everything.

    Send any relevant evidence you have to support your claim with the form because they rarely ask anyone for this.

    You can also request your DLA file to be used as evidence, if they didn't ask you this when you rang then i'd advise you to ring back and request this.

    Most people have face to face assessments, it's rare to have a paper based one. Waiting times vary depending on backlog in your area.

    During the assessment you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will be watching everything you do, from the time you arrive. Take someone with you if possible for support. You'll need to answer all the questions yourself because they'll want to hear from you how you're affected.

    Good luck.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.