ESA Medical evidence — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Medical evidence

Cal1966 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I am new on this site, so its Just a short introduction.
Both my sister & I have to reapply for ESA, I am lucky that I have a Rheumatologist to write me a letter & a GP, but she only has a Gp and doesn't have a Consultant & is convinced that she won't be awarded it because of this. My sister lost the mobility component of PIP  & lost her car & so has no faith in anything anymore. How can she prove everything without medical evidence from a Consultant?


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Cal1966   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what has happened to your sister. I my self lost my car as of last year. Know how hard this is.

    I am one of the team of community champions . Who help and advise new members who join.

    We have lots of information and advice on ESA on our website.

    I would also seek the advice of CAB regarding your benefit form.

    They can assist and help with filling it in.

    They can also advise your sister further in anything else she wished to know.

    Hope that helps.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • cara
    cara Member Posts: 21 Listener
    Welcome Cal1966 did your sister's doctor diagnose her through x rays.bloodtests? Had she been referred to a consultant? She can request copies off these tests plus put the doctors name on be contacted. Hope this helps also..if your sister has been.referred to consultant ring hospital and enquire were she is on list also state that on form.
  • Cal1966
    Cal1966 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you for your advice.
    My sister was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, trapped nerve & OA 20 years ago and the Consultant Rheumatologist is now retired, since then she has been discharged 3 times from other Rheumatologists because they of her fibromyalgia, they always ignore her OA and other problems. 
    When she reapplied for PIP the DWP weren't interested in her having had a head injury & a silent sezure. At the moment she's feeling down & that nothing is going right for her.
     As I'm currently the only one with a car it's up to me to take & collect my nephew to school.
    Sorry moan over 
  • cara
    cara Member Posts: 21 Listener
    Hi Cal1966 welcome sorry to hear about your sister. Fibromyalgia is a recognised disability now,the trapped nerve  would that not be a different consultant, also the seizures  would that not be neurology? I don't know what OA is sorry. 
  • Cal1966
    Cal1966 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Cara
    It was our Rhuematologist who diagnosed the trapped nerve, sorry I didn't explain properly, OA is Osteoarthritis  She had originaly saw him for lupus tests to see if she had also inherited it?, up to now she is clear.
    She saw a Neurologist the other week, because of continuing headaches & had a CT scan, personally I think it was to check to see if she had a brain. I don't think she has much faith in him.
    From what i have read on this site we will just have to play their games & get as many letters as possible. 
    Thank you
  • cara
    cara Member Posts: 21 Listener
    Cal1966 thank you for explaining O A did your sister not take it to tribunal? Surely the Gp would have the diagnosis from the consultant and also the fibromyalgia. Hope things change for her.
  • KatC7
    KatC7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    for filling in all those forms I use the Welfare Rights people, they are really helpful, if you have an office near you make an appointment and go ask for help, also her gp can answer all the questions that the DWP will put to them, I'm sure your sister has seen her gp for most of her issues in order to get referrals, hope you get it sorted. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.