Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
PIP - DMs are Judicial Authorites
In the DWP document "Advice for Decision Making – Chapter A1: Principles of decision making and Evidence”, section A1494, it refers to Decision Makers as “Judicial Authorities”.
What exactly does that mean? As I understand when DMs decide an award they are technically making Judicial decisions and have all the legal responsibilities that are appropriate.
Part of this is that they are bound by UT Reported Decisions. It is not optional is it? Though if there is more than one Reported Decision they are likely to choose the one that suits them best. And if it is a Three Judge decision they must accept that even if there is a dissenting opinion.
Do I understand correctly?
- 55.4K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 844 Work and employment
- 601 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 305 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 270 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.4K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.9K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 709 Chronic pain and pain management
- 720 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 953 Mental health and wellbeing
- 315 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.