Is another appeal worth it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is another appeal worth it?

Options
Pam123
Pam123 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone

I am disabled and have been for 10 years now I have several health problems and have been in receipt of PIP for the last 6 years, I was awarded standard in both mobility, my condition has got worse over the last year but i decided to wait until my next assessment was due rather than re apply, I have just been re assessed and received my award today, the award has remained as standard rate,  The assessors report  had discrepancies, i scored 11 on daily and 10 on mobility, also the form states because of the law as i am 66 i can only receive the standard on mobility, I want to appeal but to be honest if they people can basically put what they want, i don't know if its worth going through the stress of another assessment.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Pam123

Thank you for sharing this with us. Some of our members may be able to give you some advice.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Pam and welcome

If your opinion is that you should qualify for enhanced DL based on the descriptors then you should ask for an MR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pam123
    Options
    Hi both 

thank you for your reply and welcome, I believe I do qualify, but i am quite disturbed by the report to be honest, for example I am unable to prepare or cook meal and have been unable to do for almost a year, I cannot stand for more than a few minutes if that before i am crippled with pain, the assessor was made aware of this but score me 2 and the report said I was able to prepare a meal with aids, this is completely untrue, my husband is my full time carer and does all the house work and cooking, another example is to visit my downstairs toilet in less than 10 metres, and i use a walking stick to help me and am wheelchair bound she put me down as being able to walk more than 20metres and less than 50, I really don't want to have to go through of having another so call health worker coming and telling a load of lies.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You won't be able to claim Enhanced mobility because you're over 65.

For cooking and preparing a meal. You will always score points for using an aid, even if assistance is needed. To score the points for needing assistance then you have to explain why you can't use an aid and what danger you would be in if an aid was used. You won't just score those extra points because you choose not to cook. If they think an aid can reasonably be used then that's what you'll score points in and the same for a Tribunal. This applies to all the descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    An MR is a paper review of the evidence in your case. You should concentrate on showing that you meet the criteria for the descriptors that apply to you, gining 2-3 examples of what happened last time you attempted the activity.
    Any inaccuracies or misrepresentations you think may be in the report is of little matter all the MR and subsequent tribunal are interested in are the facts of how your conditions affect the things you do in line with the descriptors
  • Pam123
    Options

For cooking and preparing a meal. You will always score points for using an aid, even if assistance is needed. To score the points for needing assistance then you have to explain why you can't use an aid and what danger you would be in if an aid was used. You won't just score those extra points because you choose not to cook. If they think an aid can reasonably be used then that's what you'll score points in and the same for a Tribunal. This applies to all the descriptors.
    I know I cant claim the  claim Enhanced mobility, but didn't realise this until today, However i don't choose not to cook I am in so much pain i cant do anything.
  • Pam123
    Options
    An MR is a paper review of the evidence in your case. You should concentrate on showing that you meet the criteria for the descriptors that apply to you, gining 2-3 examples of what happened last time you attempted the activity.
    Any inaccuracies or misrepresentations you think may be in the report is of little matter all the MR and subsequent tribunal are interested in are the facts of how your conditions affect the things you do in line with the descriptors
    Thank you for explaining that helps a lot 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Pam123 said:

I know I cant claim the  claim Enhanced mobility, but didn't realise this until today, However i don't choose not to cook I am in so much pain i cant do anything.
    You need to explain why you can't reasonably use an aid like a perching stool. What happened the last time you attempted the activity using an aid. You'll always score points for using an aid whether you choose not to or not, if they think you can reasonably use one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@poppy123456 -  I thought I understood this when you explained last time but I'm confused again now..

.I've got enhanced mobility for an indefinite/10year period (when I will be 69) Does this change when I'm 65?

(I promise I'll beat myself over the head with an inflatable hammer until it goes in this time!)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    cristobal said:

@poppy123456 -  I thought I understood this when you explained last time but I'm confused again now..

.I've got enhanced mobility for an indefinite/10year period (when I will be 69) Does this change when I'm 65?

(I promise I'll beat myself over the head with an inflatable hammer until it goes in this time!)
    No because you're already claiming the Enhanced mobility.
  • Pam123
    Options
    Pam123 said:

You need to explain why you can't reasonably use an aid like a perching stool. What happened the last time you attempted the activity using an aid. You'll always score points for using an aid whether you choose not to or not, if they think you can reasonably use one.
    Thank you for your reply, I believe i did explain clearly to the assessor but for some reason she has not addressed my issues.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    You carry forward the mobility award you have when you are 65 as long as you meet the criteria
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That will be because they believed that you can reasonably use an aid. I advise you to get face to face advice regarding this from an advice centre near you.
  • Pam123
    Options
    That will be because they believed that you can reasonably use an aid. I advise you to get face to face advice regarding this from an advice centre near you.
    Thank you I will.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.