ESA, is this correct? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA, is this correct?

maz12 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I've been looking at peoples post on ESA benefit change over.i was swoped over and put on  contribution  .I've just rang them as I reserved a letter asking why I've not filled form in for the man to say because my husband works over 24 hours am not allowed to fill either form in.doesnt matter if in 2012 he only worked 20 as now he works over.also am not allowed the disability premium. Does anyone know if this correct?


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maz12, and a warm welcome to the community!

    I'm afraid I'm unsure of the answer to this myself, but we have some really knowledgeable community members who will hopefully be in touch and able to offer some guidance.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,628 Disability Gamechanger

    Claiming the income related top up will depend on circumstances. Your husband working will count as income for the income related top up. The first £20 of his earnings are disregarded then after that it's counted as income £1 for £1 and will affect any income related top up (disability premiums) you can claim.

    As the Enhanced disability premium is £16.40 per week extra from April 2018, less in previous years, this means that your husband working 20 hours per week will mean that you won't be entitled to any of the top up because his earnings will reduce it to zero.

    It doesn't mean you can't fill in the form but if your husband has always worked these hours then there's very little chance you'll be entitled to any of the income related top up. If he hasn't always worked then it will be worth filling the form in and returning it.
  • maz12
    maz12 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for that.Mary 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.