How will part time work affect my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How will part time work affect my ESA?

n31 Member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi, I am going to go back to see how I feel. I will be doing part no more than ten hours a week. I have told job centre about this. How will this affect my esa? I am in the support group for esa. Any advice would be appreciated.



  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @n31

    Welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing this with us. Please have a look through our Permitted work page.
    If you have any questions, please let us know. All the best ;)
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope it goes well @n31, and I hope the page on permitted work is helpful!

    Permitted work higher limit

    This allows you to earn up to £125.50 a week, after tax and National Insurance deductions, without affecting your benefit, if you are getting ESA or Universal Credit disability elements or National Insurance credits because of incapacity for work. The work must be for less than 16 hours a week. It can be for an unlimited period.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger

    You need to get permission from DWP (not the job centre) before starting any work. Permitted work is allowed and you'll need to fill out the PW1 form before starting the work.

    Do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA this could go against you when you're next re-assessed.

    Good luck with working and i hope it goes well.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.