Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son is at risk of abuse constantly. So I bought a awareness bracelet online when he was a infant which he wears on one arm when we are out. He is a full time wheelchair user which somewhat complicates things. 
  • Futurecare
    Futurecare Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    The Amazon Alexa devices are a great help - I use Alexa for controlling lights and heating, also radio, and reading my audible books all controlled by voice! I am dyslexic and Alexa is great helping me with spelling, also the intercom and phone features are brilliant as again they are all controlled by voice. I am always surprised that the (low cost) Alexa devices have not been taken up by the disability sectors. 
  • ppaul
    ppaul Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    When in doubt, always take the chocolate option.
  • gaesati4
    gaesati4 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Because my hands aren't strong (arthritis and spinal problems) I found opening bottles for the first time very difficult; then I started to use my nutcrackers, easy to grip, firm and they open bottles with ease.
  • icarus
    icarus Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    here are 2 good tips 

1 keep your eyes open when crossing the road!!!

2 dont eat all the biscuits-leave one in the bottom of the packet then give the packet to the dog--the dog will rip the packet up and eat the last biscuit --leave the mess on the floor and the dog gets the blame for eating the biscuits      I got caught doing this by my daughter 10 years ago and she told everyone!!
  • Annacr
    Annacr Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Very simple tip but I really struggle with changing duvet covers. I bought some thin cheap duvets in IKEA and stitched each corner into my duvet covers. The duvets stay in place and I wash the whole thing each time (dries surprisingly quickly too). Saves keep taking the covers off!
  • ppaul
    ppaul Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Questions From The Internet

Maybe these aren't tips, hints or even 'hacks'. But they help me through the day...

1.   Should I tell my parents I’m adopted?
    2.   If i eat myself will I get twice as big or disappear completely?
    3.   Does it take 18 months for twins to be born? Or 9?
    4.   Do you think NASA invented thunderstorms to cover up the sound of space battles?
    5.   How big is the specific ocean?
    6.   How am I sure i’m the real mom of my kid?
    7.   Why are the holes in cats fur always in the right places for their eyes?
    8.   What is obamas last name? Does anyone know?
    9.   Is african a religion?
    10. Are chickens considered animals or birds?
    11. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR TATTOS TO GET PASSED ON GENETICALLY FROM PARENT TO CHILD?
    12. If I shave my golden retriever like a lion, will the other dogs respect him more?
    14. What happens to the people born on Feb.. 29????? do they stay one until 4 years past??
    17. If batman parents are died, then how was he born?
    18. Is an egg a fruit or a vegetable?

Original phrasing retained.
  • Pritchard
    Pritchard Community member Posts: 7 Courageous
    You can if you think you can
    You can't if you think you can't. Can or Can't you agree to this?
  • georgewm
    georgewm Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    I have just joined so Greetings Everyone. I have been reading the tips and advice which is really great. Somebody suggested a video on how to use Scope. I think that this is an excellent idea so please do it.

I would be most interested to hear any advice to help with pressure sores. I have sores on my bottom and they are very painful. Any advice or cures welcome. Personally I use Medihoney from Amazon which really helps the skin but it’s expensive.

• juli
    juli Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Hi Georgewm

mine healed by using good old johnsons baby powder and settin and sleeping on a plain sheepskin rug. Hope that helps.
  • georgewm
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @georgwm     Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our community.

Please may I suggest if having some problems on the forum how to use it happy to help.

If you go to the Welcomes and Introductions sections.

At the top of the page a Community Guide and House Rules can be found.

Please if you need to ask any questions please do.

Sorry to hear what you going through.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't be afraid to ask for help. 
  • georgewm
    Thanks spiceman
  • Aloss
    Aloss Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    #1 If you use a walking stick or crutches i recommend flexifoot ferrules (suspension for crutches, plus they last much longer) they save the shock going through your forearms and shoulders. I also recommend bike mitts, they provide better grip and protect your hands if (when) you fall over.

#2 Smart devices like plugs and bulbs so you can control things like lighting (even the brightness & colour) and appliances such as fans without getting up using your voice (or remotely) using like Alexa/ Google Home. Just make sure it says works with (Alexa/ Google Home) as there's a similar smart devices which are garbage. Plus you can set timers & alarms (handy whilst cooking with brain fog), plus you can also ask it the time (and other things) without having to open your eyes. I also find the log handy to record my sleeping patterns when I'm in that weird place when you're neither awake or asleep.

#3 If you get muscle spasms: I recommend vaping CBD. I've found this to be the best way to take it and it works immediately.

#4 Record you Atos assessment, just in case your assessor is a scumbag/ idiot (you may have noticed I'm not a fan by my username).

#5 When you see a doctor write an agenda beforehand so you don't forget anything. Also, doctors don't know everything and do make mistakes.
  • georgewm
    Thanks Aloss, very good tips here. I use Flexifoot ferrules, they are really good and don’t slip in the wet. I have vertigo, so bad balance and initially only used one walking stick until my son suggested that I try using 2. That was a brilliant idea. With 2 sticks I can get around with a lot more confidence. The downside is you have no hands for carrying stuff but you can hang a small bag around your neck to put stuff into.
    Aloss also mentioned plugs. If you have plugs/switches that are difficult to reach get a remote control from Amazon that can switch on/off several items, tv, lights etc without getting out of your chair. Not cheap but worth it.
     I keep a notebook (Pukka pad Jotta  from Amazon) beside my recliner chair and write down things I have to do etc like what to talk to the Doctor about. I also have a small bookcase with 4 shelves beside my chair. I have different size boxes on the shelves to keep to hand all the little things that I need 1. Medications 2.notebook,pencils, biro,scissors , nail clippers , ruler, 3, correspondence, letters, bills etc 4. Cleaning kit for glasses 5.electrics, charging cables for phone, spare batteries etc 5. Sweets/chocolate nibbles.
    see photo of bookshelf on its side with phone, calculator, tv remote on top shelf.
  • EmBB1993
    EmBB1993 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was just scraping by with my salary, with never any money left each payday, but after I had an unexpectedly large vet bill for my dog and a dentist bill in the same month I started budgeting, looking at where my money goes and have managed to see where I can start saving a bit each month incase anything like that happens again. I used this budget calulator ---> http://https//isgoodsalary.co.uk/after-tax/20000/#expenses calculator and its helped a lot. 

I think even if you're not saving for anything in particular its important to have an emergency savings fund. 
  • jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    @georgewm
    For your sores you can get a ointment called pro shield which is fantastic. And applies a nice layer of protection also. Although it is expensive, maybe you can get your doctors to prescribe it as this shouldn't be an issue.
    Also Cavalon is a fantastic cream also.
    When I worked in palliative care, and a patient had bad sores we would use the cavalon first and then the pro shield on top of it to provide a barrier.always did the trick 
    Hope this helps
    Best wishes 

• georgewm
    jadealyssa many thanks for the great advice. I am using pro shield, the District Nurse gave it to me and I will certainly try the Cavalon. I am also using Biatain non adhesive foam dressings that are very good but it’s a constant battle which I will win.
    anybodty else got some good ideas for the defeat of the dreaded pressure sores or bedsores. They would be really welcome.
  • jadealyssa
    jadealyssa Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    @georgewm
    Your welcome I hope it can be of help, also would held if you could elevate the area that the sores are so that toy are not putting ti much pressure on the sore which will give the skin time to heal
    Wishing you a speedy recovery 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.