Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us? - Page 9 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hint, tip or life hack to share with us?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• georgewm
    georgewm Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Thanks again. Unfortunately I have difficulty keeping the pressure off as I have major problems with my back but I do try. Have a good day.
  • Mickyjim
    Mickyjim Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    When you are planning a trip, try and take away the fear of the unknown by using symbols, books, even photos of every stage of the journey. Prepare as much as possible in advance by showing the photos, symbols every day, take away the unpredictability which is a big part of the fear. (shared by a community member)
    I find Google Street view is great when planning a new journey ( i used it recently for a trip out to an Assesment center) :)

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is amazing @Mickyjim! I've always done this as it helps with orientation. :)
    Scope

• Mickyjim
    Mickyjim Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    I find it helps a lot with hills and problems like steps when going to an area i am not familiar with.
  • Andrew_S
    Andrew_S Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Tech companies are now building accessibility into products from the ground up, so there are loads of accessibility options when using tech:
    - In Windows 10, press Windows key + U to open the Ease of Access settings. In there you'll find things like Magnification, contrast options, Narrator (screen reading), Dictation/voice typing, eye control (beta), virtual keyboard and mouse options, etc.
    - On iOS and MacOS you'll find similar features in Settings - Accessibility, or Settings - General - Accessibility. VoiceOver is great for the visually-impaired.
    - On Android, these options are in Settings - Accessibility. They've removed some options in recent versions for some reason, but you can download them separately as the Android Accessibility Suite on the Play store, after which you'll find them in the Accessibility menu under Installed Services.

On top of these, there are now loads of accessibility apps available. Some are paid, but the average user can get by with those that are free.

• JulieBallard3
    JulieBallard3 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Kitchen Tip

Just adding to Adam's tip: if you don't have a jar lid rubber opener or a pair of rubber gloves to wrap around it to give it added traction, try GENTLY banging the metal lid on a hard surface to dent it. (I use the floor). It will unscrew easily and won't affect you being able to screw it back on.
  • Niffler
    Niffler Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    One thing I ordered recently was a back scratcher!  Not only that, it is telescopic...BRILLIANT! Only 1.49 and wouldn't be without it :smiley:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.