How long does it take? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long does it take?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 34 Connected
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

When you apply online you'll be given an appointment at your local job centre. It's during this appointment that you ask for an advance payment. Bare in mind that you do have to pay this back out of your future monthly payments.

It takes approximately 5 weeks for your first payment after you first apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I see you were claiming ESA previously. What was the reason why you transferred to UC and were you in a group when you were claiming ESA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

When you were claiming ESA because you were receiving telephone interviews with your work coach then you were in the WRAG. If your ESA claim started before April 2017 then you would have been receiving the WRAG component in your money, if it was after that time then you wouldn't have been receiving that.

You should automatically be placed into the relevant group for UC that you were in for ESA which for you will be LCW. If this isn't done then you'll need to contact ESA to ask them to send your details across to UC.

All areas have been a full UC area since middle of December so which ever area you moved to you would have had to claim UC.

For UC there's different elements depending on your circumstances. The standard allowance for over 25's in £317.82. LCW if your ESA claim was before April 2017 is £126.11 so for those 2 together it will be £443.93 per month. 

Then you'll receive your housing element. How much you'll receive for that will depend on your circumstances. If you're single and under 35 and don't receive PIP/DLA then you'll receive the shared rate. If you're single and over 35 then you'll receive the 1 bedroom rate. You can check here what you're entitled to for the housing element. You'll need to put your details and postcode in here.

If you don't receive DLA or PIP then the benefit cap will apply to you. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/the-benefit-cap/check-if-the-benefit-cap-applies-to-you/

Once you've had that first appointment then a decision will be made on your UC claim and you'll be able to check your online journal how much you'll receive each month.

For your flooring then your local council maybe able to help you with that but you'll need to contact them.

For council tax reduction, it's not part of UC so you'll need to make sure you claim for that separately by contacting your local council.

• [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    LCW is limited capability for work, which is same as WRAG for ESA.

Yes your first appointment is where you agree to everything which will be your claimant commitment.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • poppy123456
    If you were in the WRAG when claiming ESA, which i think you were then you would have been claiming approximately £102 per week IF your claim started before April 2017 (£204 every fortnight) If after you claimed JSA you had to re-apply for the ESA and it was after April 2017 and you were in the WRAG then you would have been receiving £73.10 per week. £146.20 every fortnight.

If you were in the Support Group then this is £127.15 per week, £254.30 every fortnight.

If you were in the WRAG when claiming ESA then you'll be placed into the LCW group for UC and your claimant commitment  will be work focused interviews only. This means you will be expected to prepare for a move into work, additional work, or better paid work. Actions to get ready for work could include attending training courses, preparing a CV or taking part in the Work Programme.

You will not be required to take steps to apply for or take up work as a condition of your claim.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2019
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.