PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP First Claim Help!

mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
Hi everyone I’ve suffered with severe anxiety and depression for years now on citalopram for ages on 20mg and I suffer with severe adhd, conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder ive not applied for benefits but ive also been in pain for 2 years that I’ve just dismissed I’ve not gone to my doctors thought maybe it’s growing pains as I’m 18 I was 16 at the time. It’s got so bad it’s a joke someone told me it could be fybromyalgia and this runs in my family strong don’t know if it’s hereditary. It’s severly limiting me to do things but it’s only the last month or so I’ve been to the doctors and prescribed amitriptyline and refered to a rheumatologist after being told last month I was and completely lied to!

Anyway considering I’ve not been complaining to the doctors will the PIP take note of the pain I’m in? The fact I have to use crutches to walk? I’ve got physio therapy attendance record for the last 2 years having 20 sessions that I sent.

Also I sent the forms of today 1st class signed for how long for a F2F? I’ve never done this before and day one my anxiety is bad already.

Replies

  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, PIP is a benefit to help with your daily living costs, it is not based or accessed on your disability medications but on your abilities to fit the PIP descriptors. The descriptors where the questions you answered when you filled in your PIP application form, you where asked questions for each of the  descriptors and you will be acessed at your F2F on the answers you gave and the answers you give and the personal view of the acessor about your abilities to meet the PIP descriptors.
  • SnowbelleSnowbelle Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    Hi @mercedesbd, Sorry that your in so much pain & suffering from anxiety & depression.They should take into account the pain as long as you have indicated on your form how it affects the PIP descriptors (the questions) - in your case it sounds like mobility will be the main descriptor. I'm not sure if it affects your other abilities e.g. washing & dressing - if it does then hopefully you described that on your form. The DWP can contact any of the health professionals you mentioned in your form e.g. your GP and the physiotherapist. If you feel that they're not up-to-date on how your condition affects you then it might be beneficial to either phone them or make an appointment with them to make sure they're aware of how your condition affects you especially with regards to the PIP descriptors e.g. mobility, planning & following a journey, washing, dressing, preparing a simple meal etc. Some people prefer to ask their GP and other healthcare professionals to write a letter of supporting medical evidence (sometimes giving them a list of the descriptors & how they feel they meet them to assist them in writing the letter), then you can check over the letter for accuracy before submitting it. I'm sorry I'm not sure how long the delay is between sending the forms & getting a F2F (I think it might be 6-8 weeks but not 100% sure).Good luck, Snowbelle
  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    I don’t think it matters. My family member has never been to the doctors about her anxiety and never had medication for it. And she got enhanced both for ongoing periods .. my mum used to get DLA for me when I was younger High rate care and low mobility. I’m not sure I’ll give it a try 
  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    I don’t think it matters. My family member has never been to the doctors about her anxiety and never had medication for it. And she got enhanced both for ongoing periods .. my mum used to get DLA for me when I was younger High rate care and low mobility. I’m not sure I’ll give it a try 
    ilovecats said:
    Hi everyone I’ve suffered with severe anxiety and depression for years now on citalopram for ages on 20mg and I suffer with severe adhd, conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder ive not applied for benefits but ive also been in pain for 2 years that I’ve just dismissed I’ve not gone to my doctors thought maybe it’s growing pains as I’m 18 I was 16 at the time. It’s got so bad it’s a joke someone told me it could be fybromyalgia and this runs in my family strong don’t know if it’s hereditary. It’s severly limiting me to do things but it’s only the last month or so I’ve been to the doctors and prescribed amitriptyline and refered to a rheumatologist after being told last month I was and completely lied to!

    Anyway considering I’ve not been complaining to the doctors will the PIP take note of the pain I’m in? The fact I have to use crutches to walk? I’ve got physio therapy attendance record for the last 2 years having 20 sessions that I sent.

    Also I sent the forms of today 1st class signed for how long for a F2F? I’ve never done this before and day one my anxiety is bad already.
    When you read the following please bare in mind that I’m going off only what you have written and my experience as a former assessor. I am NOT saying that you don’t suffer with mental health or are not in pain.


    From my experience, as you haven’t received a diagnose, have had no treatment and no mention of high dose high level prescription painkillers for fibromyalgia I think you will have a hard time proving that your disability is severe enough to score. Amitriplatine alone is not considered robust enough as painkilling evidence. Most people here will attest that if you are able to attend the assessment and get through it your chances of scoring are much lower. Who gave you your crutches? Do you need them all the time? Was physio helpful?

    Mental health conditions generally have to be severe in order to meet DWP criteria. ODD / ADHD is not going to score you unless you have psychiatrist letters detailing that it affects your ability to function, particularly as ODD is stigmatised and looked upon dimly. It has also considered to be a childhood disease that people grow out of. Bare in mind, Citalopram 20mg is low dose, 1st line anti depressant. You do not mention counselling or referral to any CHMT or any specific ADHD medication? 

    To score physical mobility you have to be incredibly disabled and to score Activity 12 there HAS to be hard evidence of overwhelming psychological distress.

    Did you attend normal school, did you have a EHCP, did you complete qualifications? Fill out the form yourself? All these things will go against any claims you cannot concentrate to communicate, cook, read etc.

    I suggest you read this and think about where you fit in within each activity description. Don’t try to shoe horn yourself into where you want to be but what you can genuinely do. It will give you an idea of where you might place.

    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities

  • keirakeira Member Posts: 136 Courageous

    What if I’m getting medication or treatment for my mental health problem?

    If you are getting some treatment or taking medication for your condition, you ignore the effect of your treatment when deciding whether your condition is having a substantial, adverse effect on your daily activities. This means the law is looking at how your condition affects you without your treatment or medication.

    Example

    Mohammed has long-term anxiety and is being treated by counselling. Anxiety would normally make him find simple tasks difficult. Because he has counselling, he is able to get up and go to work. 

    The Equality Act says you have to ignore his treatment in deciding whether his mental health problem has a substantial adverse effect on his day-to-day activities and so he has a disability.

    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/disability-discrimination/disability/

  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    keira said:

    What if I’m getting medication or treatment for my mental health problem?

    If you are getting some treatment or taking medication for your condition, you ignore the effect of your treatment when deciding whether your condition is having a substantial, adverse effect on your daily activities. This means the law is looking at how your condition affects you without your treatment or medication.

    Example

    Mohammed has long-term anxiety and is being treated by counselling. Anxiety would normally make him find simple tasks difficult. Because he has counselling, he is able to get up and go to work. 

    The Equality Act says you have to ignore his treatment in deciding whether his mental health problem has a substantial adverse effect on his day-to-day activities and so he has a disability.

    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/disability-discrimination/disability/

    Thank you for this. Now I understand it more hopefully they do listen to me and understand me 🙌🏻 Do you get pip for this?
  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    ilovecats said:
    I don’t think it matters. My family member has never been to the doctors about her anxiety and never had medication for it. And she got enhanced both for ongoing periods .. my mum used to get DLA for me when I was younger High rate care and low mobility. I’m not sure I’ll give it a try 
    I’d be incredibly surprised if your relative is receiving double enhanced PIP for anxiety alone.
    I can assure you she’s got no physical health problem and she has no cognitive problems she’s got anxiety and anxiety only.  & my ADHD is severe enough I can’t talk to certain people without putting myself or them at risk . That’s 8 points so before you be negative about the situation think it through and as for citrolapram being lose dose 10mg is lowest then 20 then 40. And as for being an 18 year old it’s not low Thanks doctor
  • mercedesbdmercedesbd Member Posts: 109 Courageous
    ilovecats said:
    ilovecats said:
    I don’t think it matters. My family member has never been to the doctors about her anxiety and never had medication for it. And she got enhanced both for ongoing periods .. my mum used to get DLA for me when I was younger High rate care and low mobility. I’m not sure I’ll give it a try 
    I’d be incredibly surprised if your relative is receiving double enhanced PIP for anxiety alone.
    I can assure you she’s got no physical health problem and she has no cognitive problems she’s got anxiety and anxiety only.  & my ADHD is severe enough I can’t talk to certain people without putting myself or them at risk . That’s 8 points so before you be negative about the situation think it through and as for citrolapram being lose dose 10mg is lowest then 20 then 40. And as for being an 18 year old it’s not low Thanks doctor
    There is no need to be rude. I can assure you that I have thought my responses through and I stand by what I posted. I have an immense wealth of experience regarding mental health and particularly the assessing of it and PIP so maybe re read what I said without being defensive. I’m telling you what to expect and what the assessors are looking for. I won’t be replying again to this thread. 
    Well sorry I just maybe misread that.  I got the impression you was thinking there’s nothing wrong with me and they won’t take on board
Sign in or join us to comment.