Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA income premium underpayment

Hello,

A few months ago I was sent an ESA3 form to fill in to see if I was also entitled to income-related premiums from 2012. This week I rang up to ask about it and was told that I would be paid arrears between 08/2012 to 02/2019 which is good, however I was confused when i got the letter about it as it says nothing about what the arrears are for only the date period that this payment covers. I called the job centre and all she could tell me was they were arrears but my rates for the future had not changed, still only showed the contribution based ones that I have already been claiming, nothing income-related, I am very confused now as according to the calculator sites linked on the gov website I have been entitled to an income premium of £16 a week which is approximately what the back payment works out to so why is it not showing on my benefit breakdown for the future?  i was hoping someone could make sense of this, thanks in advance.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

That's a question that's impossible to answer here sorry. If you've been backdated the money owed and your circumstances remain the same then there's no reason why you shouldn't be entitled to it in the future, if you're still in the Support Group. DWP are the only ones that can answer that question for you, i'm sorry.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • ProteusProteus Member Posts: 3 Listener
    That's fair Poppy, I thought it would be a long shot, I will try to get some answers from them on Monday, My circumstances have not changed and I'm sure things will be cleared out eventually, its just how vague the letter and phone call to the DWP was, I assumed after all this they would have a better records if not only for themselves but also the poor folk that have to claim
  • magsmithmagsmith Member Posts: 15 Connected
    I also had that letter. I might give them a ring on Monday to see if I'm due arrears. I did look online yesterday and they give figures of how many people are affected. 

magsmith said:
    I also had that letter. I might give them a ring on Monday to see if I'm due arrears. I did look online yesterday and they give figures of how many people are affected. 

Hi,

Did you transfer from Incapacity benefit to ESA and have you received the ESA3 form and returned it?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    It's actually my son's benefit and yes he did. I filled in the form in December. The date they said he might be entitled to ESA from is 01 January 2014.
    I thought he was already getting it so will have to wait and see. 
  • loopy12aloopy12a Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi. I don't have the severe disability premium on my income related esa but im entitled to it I haven't had a form sent to me and can't seem to find a claim form online. I've been disabled since childhood and haven't been able to work in 30 years as my disabilities have deteriorated over the years and continue to worsen. Should I just call dwp?
    loopy12a said:
    Hi. I don't have the severe disability premium on my income related esa but im entitled to it I haven't had a form sent to me and can't seem to find a claim form online. I've been disabled since childhood and haven't been able to work in 30 years as my disabilities have deteriorated over the years and continue to worsen. Should I just call dwp?
    To claim the severe disability premium you must be claiming either DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance. No one must be claiming Carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone.

If this applies to you then you need to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone or ask them to send it to you. It's not available online.
  • loopy12aloopy12a Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Ah I think that's why I don't get it. I do get enhanced DLA for both care and mobility but I have my adult daughter still living at home and she works full time as a nurse. Doesn't earn much and she can't afford to move out. That's prob why I don't get it. Thanks for your reply.
    loopy12a said:
    Ah I think that's why I don't get it. I do get enhanced DLA for both care and mobility but I have my adult daughter still living at home and she works full time as a nurse. Doesn't earn much and she can't afford to move out. That's prob why I don't get it. Thanks for your reply.
    You're welcome. Yes, i'm afraid this doesn't qualify you to claim the SDP, unless she also claims a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. The Enhanced disability premium is different and it's automatically paid when claiming Income related ESA.
    My son lives with me as is unable to live independently. Maybe that's why he won't get it. 

magsmith said:
    My son lives with me as is unable to live independently. Maybe that's why he won't get it. 

He won't be entitled to the severe disability premium unless you claim a qualifying benefit too such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance. The Enhanced disability premium is different and living with you won't affect his entitlement to this.
    Yes he gets PIP and higher rate DLA. On my bank statement it says EESA. So does that mean that he is already getting it and he won't be entitled to a rebate? It's all too complicated for me. The letter says he may be entitled to extra payments called premiums. 
    magsmith said:
    Yes he gets PIP and higher rate DLA. On my bank statement it says EESA. So does that mean that he is already getting it and he won't be entitled to a rebate? It's all too complicated for me. The letter says he may be entitled to extra payments called premiums. 
    EESA is just what they use for payment into a bank account, other than that it doesn't mean anything. There's 2 premiums available on ESA, Enhanced disability and severe disability premium. Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid to the in the support group claiming income related. If he's entitled to back dated money then it will be this premium he'll be entitled to which is £16.40 per week from April 2018, less in previous years.

He won't be entitled to the severe disability premium (£64.30 per week) unless you're both claiming either mid/high rate DLA or PIP daily living or Attendance allowance.

Once the ESA3 form has been received with DWP decisions can take 12 weeks at least.
    Thanks for your help. I'll just have to wait and see. 

Had a letter today with the amounts he will be getting from April. It looks as though he was being paid the correct amount as no mention of a rebate. 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    magsmith said:
    Had a letter today with the amounts he will be getting from April. It looks as though he was being paid the correct amount as no mention of a rebate. 

This is just the annual award letter
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    I realise that but the amounts it says he was entitled to from 1 January 2014 is the amount he's been getting so assumed he wasn't entitled to any more.  

No, it doesn't mean he wasn't entitled. That letter was just the usual annual letter that everyone receives this time of year. He will receive a separate decision letter for the underpayment assessment. I believe backlogs for this are huge at the moment.
    My son's ESA got paid in today and it has gone up by £15.10 a week which I believe is the income related ESA. So I'm guessing a rebate will be owed to him. 
    You'll need to wait for the letter which will hopefully arrive soon and that will tell you everything you need to know.
  • bobogiz16bobogiz16 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi i got an esa3 form they want it from may 2012, to 21/3/19 , i moved in with my partner on 29/10/2018 but was living alone up until then, i put my partner on the form andin extra info i put that i was living alone until last year and that i came off esa to go on my partners pension credits i also claim carers allowance for him is this going to affect anything ? Is everyone who claimed esa getting these forma or just the people they think were affected by the under payment ?
    I sent back the form recorded delivery will they still contact me in two weeks ? 
    bobogiz16 said:
    Hi i got an esa3 form they want it from may 2012, to 21/3/19 , i moved in with my partner on 29/10/2018 but was living alone up until then, i put my partner on the form andin extra info i put that i was living alone until last year and that i came off esa to go on my partners pension credits i also claim carers allowance for him is this going to affect anything ? Is everyone who claimed esa getting these forma or just the people they think were affected by the under payment ?
    I sent back the form recorded delivery will they still contact me in two weeks ? 
    Hi,

All those that were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA are receiving the forms. If you were affected by the underpayment then you will receive any backdated money owed up until you moved in with your partner and your ESA stopped.

I wouldn't expect to be contacted as soon as 2 weeks because the waiting time for this is at least 12 weeks, a lot of people are waiting much longer than this. You will of course need to wait for them to assess you because it's impossible to know whether you're owed any money or not.
  • bobogiz16bobogiz16 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Many thanks poppy
    Just to let you know that I had money owing paid into my account today 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,943

Scope community team

Hi @magsmith, that's excellent news! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • Liam65Liam65 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi all I've just received the ESA letter and form  , it states at the top of the letter that I was paid contribution based ESA from the 11 of November  2011 to 9th of November 2012 which replaced the incapacity benefit I was getting  , does this mean they are only looking to back date any money owed within those dates as I'm still on ESA now and most people seem to be getting back dates up till 2014  , I've arranged for help over the phone to help me fill in the form , but would appreciate it if anyone knows why its only stating a year at top of letter  , thanks in advance for any replies  ,
    Liam65 said:
    Hi all I've just received the ESA letter and form  , it states at the top of the letter that I was paid contribution based ESA from the 11 of November  2011 to 9th of November 2012 which replaced the incapacity benefit I was getting  , does this mean they are only looking to back date any money owed within those dates as I'm still on ESA now and most people seem to be getting back dates up till 2014  , I've arranged for help over the phone to help me fill in the form , but would appreciate it if anyone knows why its only stating a year at top of letter  , thanks in advance for any replies  ,
    Hi,

Yes, that's the dates you will be assessed from. It's most likely because you're now claiming the income related top up on your ESA. Everyone's dates are different and some people were assessed for the income related top up but a lot weren't.

Are you in the Support Group or WRAG?
    Hi I'm in the employment and support group  , I've also been getting pip for around 2 years now  , I'm just confused about the dates they have given , thanks for the reply 
    Liam65 said:
    Hi I'm in the employment and support group  , I've also been getting pip for around 2 years now  , I'm just confused about the dates they have given , thanks for the reply 
    Is it a single or joint claim? ESA Support Group Income related for a single person up until April 2019 was £127.15 per week. This increased to £127.55 per week from 8th April 2019. It would be slightly more than this if its a joint claim.

If you're claiming just Contributions based then it's £110.75 per week. Are any of these the amounts you're receiving?

As advised, everyone's dates are different and you could have been assessed for the income related top up in 2012.
    I was with my partner during that time period but my claim was separate  , since receiving pip around 2 years ago my ESA has been topped up as well so I recieve around £300 every 2 wks   ,sorry if I sound confusing but any letters forms etc gets my mind racing  , I'm not looking forward to the telephone call to fill in form either I just want it all out of the way so I don't stress  , thanks again for replying 
    Seems like you're already receiving the income related top up which is why the dates are only for 1 year up until 2012. DWP will have all the information from 2012 so to know for sure then you would need to ask them.
    Thank you for the reply  , I'm pretty sure the top up was applied when I starting getting pip  , I've been told the phone call will just be mainly yes or no questions once that's done I will be able to relax and like you said they will know by there records what I was entitled too  , theres no reason for them to see me so that's a huge relief too  , this is my 1st time using a site for help are there anymore where you can chat to people who also have a mental illness  , 
  • Nikki76Nikki76 Member Posts: 24 Connected
    I have been waiting for mine to be looked at for 15 weeks now,since 21 March 2019 they had my form back
    It was probably about the same amount of time as that before I had the arrears Nikki. I did ring them when I didn't hear but not sure it made any difference. 
Sign in or join us to comment.