ESA income premium underpayment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA income premium underpayment

Proteus
Proteus Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hello,

A few months ago I was sent an ESA3 form to fill in to see if I was also entitled to income-related premiums from 2012. This week I rang up to ask about it and was told that I would be paid arrears between 08/2012 to 02/2019 which is good, however I was confused when i got the letter about it as it says nothing about what the arrears are for only the date period that this payment covers. I called the job centre and all she could tell me was they were arrears but my rates for the future had not changed, still only showed the contribution based ones that I have already been claiming, nothing income-related, I am very confused now as according to the calculator sites linked on the gov website I have been entitled to an income premium of £16 a week which is approximately what the back payment works out to so why is it not showing on my benefit breakdown for the future?  i was hoping someone could make sense of this, thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

That's a question that's impossible to answer here sorry. If you've been backdated the money owed and your circumstances remain the same then there's no reason why you shouldn't be entitled to it in the future, if you're still in the Support Group. DWP are the only ones that can answer that question for you, i'm sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Proteus
    Proteus Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    That's fair Poppy, I thought it would be a long shot, I will try to get some answers from them on Monday, My circumstances have not changed and I'm sure things will be cleared out eventually, its just how vague the letter and phone call to the DWP was, I assumed after all this they would have a better records if not only for themselves but also the poor folk that have to claim
  • magsmith
    magsmith Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    I also had that letter. I might give them a ring on Monday to see if I'm due arrears. I did look online yesterday and they give figures of how many people are affected. 

• poppy123456
    magsmith said:
    I also had that letter. I might give them a ring on Monday to see if I'm due arrears. I did look online yesterday and they give figures of how many people are affected. 

Hi,

Did you transfer from Incapacity benefit to ESA and have you received the ESA3 form and returned it?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • magsmith
    It's actually my son's benefit and yes he did. I filled in the form in December. The date they said he might be entitled to ESA from is 01 January 2014.
    I thought he was already getting it so will have to wait and see. 
  • loopy12a
    loopy12a Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi. I don't have the severe disability premium on my income related esa but im entitled to it I haven't had a form sent to me and can't seem to find a claim form online. I've been disabled since childhood and haven't been able to work in 30 years as my disabilities have deteriorated over the years and continue to worsen. Should I just call dwp?
  • poppy123456
    loopy12a said:
    Hi. I don't have the severe disability premium on my income related esa but im entitled to it I haven't had a form sent to me and can't seem to find a claim form online. I've been disabled since childhood and haven't been able to work in 30 years as my disabilities have deteriorated over the years and continue to worsen. Should I just call dwp?
    To claim the severe disability premium you must be claiming either DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance. No one must be claiming Carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone.

If this applies to you then you need to ring ESA and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone or ask them to send it to you. It's not available online.
  • loopy12a
    loopy12a Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Ah I think that's why I don't get it. I do get enhanced DLA for both care and mobility but I have my adult daughter still living at home and she works full time as a nurse. Doesn't earn much and she can't afford to move out. That's prob why I don't get it. Thanks for your reply.
  • poppy123456
    loopy12a said:
    Ah I think that's why I don't get it. I do get enhanced DLA for both care and mobility but I have my adult daughter still living at home and she works full time as a nurse. Doesn't earn much and she can't afford to move out. That's prob why I don't get it. Thanks for your reply.
    You're welcome. Yes, i'm afraid this doesn't qualify you to claim the SDP, unless she also claims a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. The Enhanced disability premium is different and it's automatically paid when claiming Income related ESA.
  • magsmith
    My son lives with me as is unable to live independently. Maybe that's why he won't get it. 

• poppy123456
    magsmith said:
    My son lives with me as is unable to live independently. Maybe that's why he won't get it. 

He won't be entitled to the severe disability premium unless you claim a qualifying benefit too such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance. The Enhanced disability premium is different and living with you won't affect his entitlement to this.
  • magsmith
    Yes he gets PIP and higher rate DLA. On my bank statement it says EESA. So does that mean that he is already getting it and he won't be entitled to a rebate? It's all too complicated for me. The letter says he may be entitled to extra payments called premiums. 
  • poppy123456
    magsmith said:
    Yes he gets PIP and higher rate DLA. On my bank statement it says EESA. So does that mean that he is already getting it and he won't be entitled to a rebate? It's all too complicated for me. The letter says he may be entitled to extra payments called premiums. 
    EESA is just what they use for payment into a bank account, other than that it doesn't mean anything. There's 2 premiums available on ESA, Enhanced disability and severe disability premium. Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid to the in the support group claiming income related. If he's entitled to back dated money then it will be this premium he'll be entitled to which is £16.40 per week from April 2018, less in previous years.

He won't be entitled to the severe disability premium (£64.30 per week) unless you're both claiming either mid/high rate DLA or PIP daily living or Attendance allowance.

Once the ESA3 form has been received with DWP decisions can take 12 weeks at least.
  • magsmith
    Thanks for your help. I'll just have to wait and see. 

• magsmith
    Had a letter today with the amounts he will be getting from April. It looks as though he was being paid the correct amount as no mention of a rebate. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    magsmith said:
    Had a letter today with the amounts he will be getting from April. It looks as though he was being paid the correct amount as no mention of a rebate. 

This is just the annual award letter
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • magsmith
    I realise that but the amounts it says he was entitled to from 1 January 2014 is the amount he's been getting so assumed he wasn't entitled to any more.  

• poppy123456
    No, it doesn't mean he wasn't entitled. That letter was just the usual annual letter that everyone receives this time of year. He will receive a separate decision letter for the underpayment assessment. I believe backlogs for this are huge at the moment.
  • magsmith
  • magsmith
    My son's ESA got paid in today and it has gone up by £15.10 a week which I believe is the income related ESA. So I'm guessing a rebate will be owed to him. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.