Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Found a housing exchange partner but will have to move in before being considered to replace bath

TheresTheres Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I have found a housing exchange partner, all was going well. The lady I would be exchanging with asked me if my housing association would give her permission to have the bath removed ( I had the bathroom fitted, which I paid for myself) and replaced with a shower (paying for all the works herself). My housing association lady said if she has an occupational therapist form and doctors letter, they would never prejudice against disabilities, but she can only apply for permission once she has moved in. 
 The following week, I received a phone call from the housing association saying, this was not correct and she would not definitely get permission even with an OP form and doctors letter and she would have to move in before they would decide!  This seems very unfair.
BTW  My house has, extra wide doors and stairs, all the sockets are waist high to accommodate a wheelchair. I'm not sure if that is classed as Aids & Adaptations?    I really don't know what to think.   Please help xx


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,747 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Theres welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened, have you contacted your local CAB to see what advice they can offer?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Theres Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

    I am sure there will be members of our team or a member of our community be able to advise you on your housing issues.

    I am sure some one will be in touch to help you.

    Have you spoken to CAB about the problems you are experiencing they may be able to help you.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • TheresTheres Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, Thank you, I will contact  CAB them on Monday.
  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Theres , thank you for sharing this with us. Please keep us updated and if you have any questions, please let us know.

  • Jean EveleighJean Eveleigh Member Posts: 134 Pioneering
    "My house has, extra wide doors and stairs, all the sockets are waist high to accommodate a wheelchair. I'm not sure if that is classed as Aids & Adaptations? "   Yes these are considered to be disability adaptions to the property to make it wheelchair suitable.

    As for a disabled person needing to move in before adaptions are considered this is generally the norm for all council and housing association properties to ensure the tenant doesn't change their mind while the work is being done unfortunately - (I had a  similar problem, my property was advertised as wheelchair accessible but had 3 steps to the front door I had to move in first and it took a year to get my ramp built) I would suggest if the property is perfect in all respects apart from the bath then an interim solution would be a bath seat and tap shower while looking into getting a proper shower or wet-room fitted.

  • TheresTheres Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much, that's very good of you to reply and really helpful.   xx
Sign in or join us to comment.