Pip refused! Help with benefits please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip refused! Help with benefits please.

Options
vixy7
vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hello,
I need some much needed advice on benefits please. I found out today my husband was refused pip ? he's currently on DLA so as im aware he will get 4 more weeks of DLA from when pip decision was made which was on the 9/03/19. Im currently getting carer's allowance ( for being my husband carer), income support, Housing benefit, child tax credit, child benefit and my son receives middle rate DLA.
Now as these are all linked to my husband DLA which is ending all these will end and I will have to make a claim for universal credit. However is it possible to contact carer's allowance and say that I want to be come my son's carer from the date I stop being my husband carer? As if this is possible and there is no break me being a carer it will avoid being moved onto universal credit? So worried what to do and what the next steps to make with money soon stopping and hearing so many bad things about universal credit.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vixy7
    Im sorry to hear that you are having such a stressful situation. Have you thought about appealing your husband's PIP decision? You need to start with a Mandatory Reconsideration.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eTgNyPo9Q

Does your son get PIP or DLA? He would need to be claiming one of these for you to get Carers Allowance for him. I am not sure whether you can just transfer this over though, you can contact them to ask:

Get information on Carer’s Allowance and how to make a claim.

General enquiries 
    Telephone: 0800 731 0297
    Textphone: 0800 731 0317 
    NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 
    Find out about call charges

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • vixy7
    vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Hello Thank you for your reply. We will be making a MR. I'm first going to tackle my financial situation as everything will stop. My son receives middle rate DLA so when I get the date of the DLA ending. I was thinking of applying for carer's allowance and ask for it to start for my son the date my carer's end for my husband if that makes sense?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vixy7
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your post.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi vixy7,

The good news is yes you can claim carer's allowance for your son if he is getting the middle rate of the care component of DLA. It will need to be a new claim though so contact the carers allowance unit on 0800 731 0297 and explain you want the claim to start from the date your husbands PIP ended.

You remain entitled to income support even if you are not getting carers allowance, as long as you are 'regularly and substantially' caring for someone getting DLA middle or higher care component.

There shouldn't be a need to claim Universal Credit here.

As someone else has pointed out though, its worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration of your husbands PIP - don't miss the one calendar month deadline from the date on the decision letter.

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.