What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Should I be paying council tax while on ESA and PIP?

julietinblackjulietinblack Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you.

I was just wondering should i be paying counsel tax on ESA and high rate mobility middle rate pip..!?!

I have lived in Blackpool for 4 years and have paid a reduction but  people keep telling me i shouldn't be paying anything, i didn't when living in other parts of the country.

Thanks for reading.



  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger

    Hello @julietinblack.  Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

    In response to your benefit enquiry. I am unsure of an answer. There will be members of our community or a member of our team be able to advise.

    Have you spoken to CAB they may be to advise on your benefit query.

    They have expertise and knowledge.

    Have a look at our website for further information if that helps you.

    We are friendly.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Local councils have their own rules for council tax reduction. If you're the only adult living in your house then you'll receive a 25% discount. It's not unusual to have to pay a small contribution towards your council tax because most people do. I receive ESA and PIP and i have to pay £11 per month. Those days where you used to receive 100% reduction when claiming a means tested benefit mostly don't exist anymore.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • julietinblackjulietinblack Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy. Juliet
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    It does vary from Council to Council but in addition to the living alone reduction of 25% there are usually some discounts for disability and/or low income. Most benefits are not advertised and staff are usually under orders not to volunteer information or risk losing their jobs but they must answer with a yes or no if you ask about specific benefits (by law).

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
Sign in or join us to comment.