What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Should I be paying council tax while on ESA and PIP?

julietinblackjulietinblack Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you.

I was just wondering should i be paying counsel tax on ESA and high rate mobility middle rate pip..!?!

I have lived in Blackpool for 4 years and have paid a reduction but  people keep telling me i shouldn't be paying anything, i didn't when living in other parts of the country.

Thanks for reading.

Juliet

Replies

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @julietinblack.  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your benefit enquiry. I am unsure of an answer. There will be members of our community or a member of our team be able to advise.

Have you spoken to CAB they may be to advise on your benefit query.

They have expertise and knowledge.

Have a look at our website for further information if that helps you.

We are friendly.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Local councils have their own rules for council tax reduction. If you're the only adult living in your house then you'll receive a 25% discount. It's not unusual to have to pay a small contribution towards your council tax because most people do. I receive ESA and PIP and i have to pay £11 per month. Those days where you used to receive 100% reduction when claiming a means tested benefit mostly don't exist anymore.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • julietinblackjulietinblack Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy. Juliet
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    It does vary from Council to Council but in addition to the living alone reduction of 25% there are usually some discounts for disability and/or low income. Most benefits are not advertised and staff are usually under orders not to volunteer information or risk losing their jobs but they must answer with a yes or no if you ask about specific benefits (by law).

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
Sign in or join us to comment.