If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can my husband ask DWP to change the payment arrangement or does it have to be myself?

CaringladyCaringlady Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi there, 
I need advise please on a matter, where by last year summer the appointee form was completed and signed for me to act as my husband appointee.
But because he recently did not receive his pip payment for this month, even though I tried to explained that I am the appointee and I handle all his welfare and benefit payments, he to my surprised went against me and wrote to DWP directly to get them to overrule the appointee form has he needs the money to go directly into his account. 
My husband has been diagnose with Long term illness, so I am his carer supporting him to the best of my ability. 
Even though I was an appointee by then, the money was still been paid directly into his account., which would sit in his account and he would buy silly things

Can my husband asked DWP to changed the payment arrangement or does it has to be myself 

Your urgent response would be very much appreciated. 

Many thanks 


  • pink_princesspink_princess Member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Caringlady

    I just wanted to say welcome to the community I’m sure other members will reply soon 😀
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're his appointee then it should only be you that can change this.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • CaringladyCaringlady Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Poppy123456, 

    Thank you for your reassuring reply. 
    Its just that my husband is saying he wants the appointee to be overruled because he claims he at the moment is fine to manage his finances, even though he rely on me to do everything for him and most importantly agree to me being his appointee, 

    many thanks 
  • FetlockFetlock Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    As Poppy said, it should only be you who can change this.
    The only way you can be removed as an appointee is if you yourself relinquish your appointeeship or a DWP visiting officer calls out and determines your husband can manage his own affairs and no longer needs an appointee.

  • CaringladyCaringlady Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Fetlock, 

    Yes when I spoke to DWP this morning they said when they receive the letter from my husband they will look into it, assess his medical notes they hold on their system and will determine if he can manage his own affairs. My husband has been diagnosed with a long term illness Huntington Disease, which is a brain disorder, his memory is detoriating and his behaviourial disorder can be be not so nice whereby he has been verbally abusive towards, he is moody, selfish etc and is rely on me where he cannot manage day to day routine within in the home. He doesnt contribute towards the marital home, and if he does its the bear minimum and the rest of the money he will keep and save in his account. 

    DWP advisor has stated, because I have put them in the picture as to my husband intention they told me not to worry too much until they receive the letter and will contact me accordingly. 

    Many thanks 

Sign in or join us to comment.