Can my husband ask DWP to change the payment arrangement or does it have to be myself? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can my husband ask DWP to change the payment arrangement or does it have to be myself?

Caringlady
Caringlady Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there, 
I need advise please on a matter, where by last year summer the appointee form was completed and signed for me to act as my husband appointee.
But because he recently did not receive his pip payment for this month, even though I tried to explained that I am the appointee and I handle all his welfare and benefit payments, he to my surprised went against me and wrote to DWP directly to get them to overrule the appointee form has he needs the money to go directly into his account. 
My husband has been diagnose with Long term illness, so I am his carer supporting him to the best of my ability. 
Even though I was an appointee by then, the money was still been paid directly into his account., which would sit in his account and he would buy silly things

Can my husband asked DWP to changed the payment arrangement or does it has to be myself 

Your urgent response would be very much appreciated. 

Many thanks 

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Caringlady

I just wanted to say welcome to the community I’m sure other members will reply soon ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're his appointee then it should only be you that can change this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Caringlady
    Hi Poppy123456, 

Thank you for your reassuring reply. 
    Its just that my husband is saying he wants the appointee to be overruled because he claims he at the moment is fine to manage his finances, even though he rely on me to do everything for him and most importantly agree to me being his appointee, 

many thanks 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    As Poppy said, it should only be you who can change this.
    The only way you can be removed as an appointee is if you yourself relinquish your appointeeship or a DWP visiting officer calls out and determines your husband can manage his own affairs and no longer needs an appointee.

• Caringlady
    Hi Fetlock, 

Yes when I spoke to DWP this morning they said when they receive the letter from my husband they will look into it, assess his medical notes they hold on their system and will determine if he can manage his own affairs. My husband has been diagnosed with a long term illness Huntington Disease, which is a brain disorder, his memory is detoriating and his behaviourial disorder can be be not so nice whereby he has been verbally abusive towards, he is moody, selfish etc and is rely on me where he cannot manage day to day routine within in the home. He doesnt contribute towards the marital home, and if he does its the bear minimum and the rest of the money he will keep and save in his account. 

DWP advisor has stated, because I have put them in the picture as to my husband intention they told me not to worry too much until they receive the letter and will contact me accordingly. 

Many thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.