PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Please advice how to challenge the DWP

mustafaraoofmustafaraoof Member Posts: 17 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
my 16 year old son was born with CHD and as of 2016 has had heart failure.in Jan 2019 Capita asessed him.last week DWP wrote to inform us my sons mobility is reduced to standard because in their views my son is able to plan a journey and follow it unaided.
DWP did not get in touch with my sons cardiologist or the hospice.my son is quite ill and and has the mental age of 8.could someone please advice how to challenge the DWP.thankyou

Replies

• Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @mustafaraoof I am sorry to hear about this. Please have a read through our page on Appealing a DWP benefits decision.
    Please keep us updated or if you have any questions, please let us know.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    You might also like to watch this video

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Im sorry to hear you are going through this, it can be so stressful and I hope you can appeal the decision and get it looked at again.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    my 16 year old son was born with CHD and as of 2016 has had heart failure.in Jan 2019 Capita asessed him.last week DWP wrote to inform us my sons mobility is reduced to standard because in their views my son is able to plan a journey and follow it unaided.
    DWP did not get in touch with my sons cardiologist or the hospice.my son is quite ill and and has the mental age of 8.could someone please advice how to challenge the DWP.thankyou

Why would you expect the assessor or the DWP to write/contact anybody for any evidence that may help your son's claim?
    It is for the claimant to produce this evidence setting out the claim in such depth, backed up with evidence, that the assessor would have very little wriggle room to argue against it.
  • mustafaraoofmustafaraoof Member Posts: 17 Listener
    Thankyou please forgive me when I received the PIP forms I ran like a headless chicken obtaining reports from the cardiologist,the Hospice,the dietician, the school, audiologist the gastrostomy team and others.i was merely annoyed if all the reports were sent and according to the cardiologist and Hospice DWP did not get in touch with them to clarify concerns
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence or to clarify anything.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thankyou poppy I assumed they follow letters and reports 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Does your son have mobility issues? Following and planning a journey isn't for those with these issues. This activity is designed for limitations on mobility deriving from mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. If he has mobility issues then it will only be possible for him to score points in the moving around part of mobility (activity 12)
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thankyou poppy
    currently he has heart failure his right side of heart has stopped working and is unable to walk 30 metres also he is 16 but has a mental age of 8
Sign in or join us to comment.