Please advice how to challenge the DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please advice how to challenge the DWP

mustafaraoof
mustafaraoof Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
my 16 year old son was born with CHD and as of 2016 has had heart failure.in Jan 2019 Capita asessed him.last week DWP wrote to inform us my sons mobility is reduced to standard because in their views my son is able to plan a journey and follow it unaided.
DWP did not get in touch with my sons cardiologist or the hospice.my son is quite ill and and has the mental age of 8.could someone please advice how to challenge the DWP.thankyou

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @mustafaraoof I am sorry to hear about this. Please have a read through our page on Appealing a DWP benefits decision.
    Please keep us updated or if you have any questions, please let us know.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    You might also like to watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eTgNyPo9Q
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Im sorry to hear you are going through this, it can be so stressful and I hope you can appeal the decision and get it looked at again.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    my 16 year old son was born with CHD and as of 2016 has had heart failure.in Jan 2019 Capita asessed him.last week DWP wrote to inform us my sons mobility is reduced to standard because in their views my son is able to plan a journey and follow it unaided.
    DWP did not get in touch with my sons cardiologist or the hospice.my son is quite ill and and has the mental age of 8.could someone please advice how to challenge the DWP.thankyou

Why would you expect the assessor or the DWP to write/contact anybody for any evidence that may help your son's claim?
    It is for the claimant to produce this evidence setting out the claim in such depth, backed up with evidence, that the assessor would have very little wriggle room to argue against it.
  • mustafaraoof
    Thankyou please forgive me when I received the PIP forms I ran like a headless chicken obtaining reports from the cardiologist,the Hospice,the dietician, the school, audiologist the gastrostomy team and others.i was merely annoyed if all the reports were sent and according to the cardiologist and Hospice DWP did not get in touch with them to clarify concerns
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,935 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence or to clarify anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mustafaraoof
    Thankyou poppy I assumed they follow letters and reports 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,935 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Does your son have mobility issues? Following and planning a journey isn't for those with these issues. This activity is designed for limitations on mobility deriving from mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. If he has mobility issues then it will only be possible for him to score points in the moving around part of mobility (activity 12)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mustafaraoof
    Thankyou poppy
    currently he has heart failure his right side of heart has stopped working and is unable to walk 30 metres also he is 16 but has a mental age of 8

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.