Retinitus pigmentosa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Retinitus pigmentosa

stonecold010163 Member Posts: 3 Listener
My wife has rp and I want to leave my job to become her carer.I contacted dwp and job centre about becoming my wife’s carer and claiming universal credit.I was told I could claim careers allowance and universal credit but both myself and my wife would have to attend the job centre to sign a claimant commitment.Then as I would be my wife’s carer I would not have to prove that I’m looking for work.My wife on the other hand work have to fill in a work capability assessment form and then go to a meeting to see what type of work she can look for.Well if I was leaving work to become her carer and she was forced to do work so we would keep the universal credit,what’s the point in me leaving work to become her carer in the first place.I asked this and they said it is what it is.Does anyone out there have any ideas on what I can do as my wife needs looking after.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,389 Disability Gamechanger

    Does your wife claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care?
  • stonecold010163
    stonecold010163 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    My wife claims pip and she gets the high on care and mobility.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Then you don't need to claim Carers Allowance to claim the carers element of UC. The only advantage to claim carers allowance will be the NI credits. When claiming CA and UC the carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from the carers allowance. Carers allowance will then pay you separately.

    You were advised correctly about claiming UC, you won't have any work commitments in your claimant commitment but your wife may have. Claiming PIP won't automatically qualify her for limited capability for work.

    When you start a claim for UC as a couple she will need a fit/sick note from her GP to claim Limited capability for work. She will then eventually be referred for a work capability assessment. Once this is done she'll be sent work capability assessment form, which will need to be filled in and returned with all her evidence. She will most likely have to attend an assessment, like PIP but different criteria. Once a decision is made if she's given LCWRA she'll receive an extra £328 per month starting from the 4th month of her claim from when she sent in her first fit note and there won't be any work commitments.

    If she's given LCW there won't be any extra money per month and she'll be placed into the work preparation group, she won't be expected to look for work in this group but she'll be expected to prepare to work sometime in the future.

    Until she's assessed and a decision is made it's the work coaches discretion what her claimant commitment will be. Some will reduce hours, few turn them off completely. If you're unhappy with the work coach she has then you can request a different one.

    If you do apply for UC then any wages you receive from working during your assessment period will be deducted from your UC. There's also a 5 week wait for your first payment.

    Unfortunately, as a carer there's no other option but to claim UC because all the old legacy benefits no longer exist, as all areas are now a full UC area from December 2018.

    If you need to claim council tax reduction then this is claimed separately from your local council.

    If you have savings/capital over £16,000 then you won't be able to claim UC. Any savings of £6,000 or more will see a reduction of £4.35 for every £1,000 over that amount.

    Hope this helps.
  • stonecold010163
    stonecold010163 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.