PIP - the big picture — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP - the big picture

Fitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My wife was successful in switching from DLA to PIP but, looking at so many other stories on this forum, I sensed she was very lucky. With this in mind, I decided to look at the bigger picture. The data presented here relates to GB and not Northern Ireland.

* Since PIP began just over 4 million people have claimed and 3.8 million claims have been dealt with.

* Of the people who have claimed, nearly 40% had previously had DLAs and the rest, just over 60%, are new claims.

* 55% of claims have been awarded. The rest rejected or withdrawn.

* Of those who were awarded a claim, 18% received the highest rate for both components.

* 70% of people whose claims were refused asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration

* 20% of those who asked for an MR had the decision reversed.

* I have not been able to find out what % of people who were unsuccessful with their MRs went on to argue their case at a tribunal but elsewhere on this forum it says that 73% of tribunal appeals are successful if you attend the tribunal in person. ##

* Of the people who switched from DLA to PIP, 39% had their benefits increased, 14% are unchanged, 22% had benefits decreased but not stopped entirely and 25% lost their benefits.

Can I just add that I do not work for ATOS (somebody on this forum asked me if I did) nor Capita and, indeed, I have never been a medic or para medic in my life. I have unfortunately spent a lot of time in hospital waiting rooms!

## Editing this to add that I have just been researching the number of MR refusal cases that go to appeal. I was not able to corroborate the numbers myself but in the Daily Mirror they quoted government statistics saying that about 554,000 appeals have been made. Putting this in context, 227,000 people won awards at the MR stage so are unlikely to go to appeal whereas 861,000 were unsuccessful with their Mandatory Reconsiderations.

Summarising, if your PIP is turned down ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration where the success rate is around 20%. Of the people who are unsuccessful with an MR, just over 60% (I think) go to a tribunal and nearly three quarters of them win their cases. 


  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I would be interested to see those figures, ilovecats. Is it possible to provide a link?

    Please ignore the footnote I added at ## above. I muddled up ESA tribunal claimants with PIP tribunal claimants.

  • braca
    braca Member Posts: 102 Connected
    @ilovecats your figure of 0.5% is for total number of PIP claims and what the DWP want is to think are PIP appeal stats.
     regardless of how the DWP try to spin the figures around the correct number of people who after going through F2F and then Mandatory reconsideration and then go on to appeal  their awards 72% approx. have success getting higher award at appeal.
     Is the reports that assessors send to DWP about Functional or Fictional observations o:) : 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.