PIP vs universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP vs universal credit

Options
cristina74
cristina74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone
my brother is in receipt of PIP , higher mobility rate . He doesn’t get any daily living allowance because he lives in a care home , as I was told . Recently, the care home changed from residential care to support living mode . Therefore, he will have to pay contributions towards his care costs . I was advice to apply for universal credit on his behalf. He has no mental capacity, he is not verbal , hence I have got the attorney power, since I am the only next of kin . 
Can anybody tell me what will happen to his PIP entitlement if I apply for universal credit for him ? 
Thsnk you very much 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cristina74 nothing, the pip payments will remain. With the changes in the type of care being provided though I would recommend getting advice if he would qualify for the living element of PIP.

I haven't been keeping up to date, but having PIP may mean he can get enhanced payments on UC, hopefully a better informed member will be able to give you more information on this.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    There's no such thing as Enhanced payments on Universal credit. Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work. A fit/sick note will be needed from their GP to be able to claim limited capability for work.

I agree with getting some advice.

As advised on your other thread PIP isn't part of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456 thank you for clarifying that so quickly :)

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• cristina74
    cristina74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thank you very much 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.