PIP vs universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP vs universal credit

cristina74
cristina74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone
my brother is in receipt of PIP , higher mobility rate . He doesn’t get any daily living allowance because he lives in a care home , as I was told . Recently, the care home changed from residential care to support living mode . Therefore, he will have to pay contributions towards his care costs . I was advice to apply for universal credit on his behalf. He has no mental capacity, he is not verbal , hence I have got the attorney power, since I am the only next of kin . 
Can anybody tell me what will happen to his PIP entitlement if I apply for universal credit for him ? 
Thsnk you very much 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cristina74 nothing, the pip payments will remain. With the changes in the type of care being provided though I would recommend getting advice if he would qualify for the living element of PIP.

I haven't been keeping up to date, but having PIP may mean he can get enhanced payments on UC, hopefully a better informed member will be able to give you more information on this.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    There's no such thing as Enhanced payments on Universal credit. Claiming PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work. A fit/sick note will be needed from their GP to be able to claim limited capability for work.

I agree with getting some advice.

As advised on your other thread PIP isn't part of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @poppy123456 thank you for clarifying that so quickly :)

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• cristina74
    cristina74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you very much 

Brightness