Esa, pip, student finance and overpayment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa, pip, student finance and overpayment

Options
johnsmith1
johnsmith1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi guys
Prior to joining university I was on Esa income related support and pip standard living no mobility. I started a degree in February 2018, my pip ended in March 2019 so I informed Esa that my pip is ending and would therefore be ineligible for Esa. So dwp asked me to send my student finance income (proof). This week I received a call from dwp that I have to repay my Esa since I joined university! This is wrong! Is it true that if you receive pip you can still receive student finance and Esa? Could you someone please clarify? I explained it to the lady who called me and she said I need further information and a letter is on the way!

many thanks

Comments

• TomF_Scope
    TomF_Scope Scope Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Hi John,

Disability Rights Uk publishes some very handy FAQs that go into benefit eligibility as a student. However most students attending full-time courses are excluded from claiming Housing benefit until the course ends. There are some exceptions to this rule. For example, you can claim housing benefit as a student if you are disabled or have a serious health condition and you get income-related ESA. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students

But for the basis of benefit calculations, student finance is partially counted as income. If you aren’t eligible for contributory ESA and do not live in a ‘full service’ Universal Credit area (see above), you can claim income-related ESA as a full-time student if you are also getting disability living allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). As a higher education student, you will be automatically counted as having limited capability for work.  You will still be assessed under the limited capability for work-related activity test, which decides whether you are in the support group or the work-related activity group. It can be complicated to calculate how much benefit you might finally receive.

Disability Rights Uk also run the Disabled Students Helpline which runs 1am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays on: 

0330 995 0414

More info on Disabled Students helpline here: 
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.