Benefits advise please? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Benefits advise please?

Anya12 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am wondering if you can advise. In October 2018 I became ill and had to give up work. My husband and I made a claim for Universal Credit and I claimed ESA contributory. I made a claim for PIP which I got in February 2019 and also underwent work capability for ESA and was put in support group apparently this ws done on 21/1/19 but I only found out a couple of weeks via my job centre.  ESA only just informed UC when I queried.  I have not been paid the LWCRA element in UC and I have been chasing it up and they say it is with a decision maker which doesn't make sense as it has already been agreed I am in support group on January 21 2019.  I have today received a letter from UC asking me to attend a work capability assessment on May 1st even though I thought the ESA assessment was enough to send through to UC well at least according to the job centre. My husband is my carer and did get the carer element in our last payment but no LWCRA.  Could you please advise. 


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @Anya12 welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. I'll tag in @BenefitsTrainingCo and hopefully they can offer some advice.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Anya12,

    It it does sound as though the DWP have made a mistake. If you were placed in the support group in January 2019 then you should have been awarded the LCWRA element from this date. Put a request on your journal for a revision of your UC to include the LCWRA element from this date. State that you have only just been notified of this outcome so could not have notified them sooner.

    You should have a LCWRA element as well as your husband’s Carer element included in your UC claim.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.