Paper Based Review — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Paper Based Review

Nattie3 Member Posts: 32 Connected
Hi all, I put in for a change of circumstance 4 months ago and I was offered a home assessment to go through my disability and discuss the changes. 

I've since been able to provide a lot more evidence and this has changed the home assessment and I've been told that a PBR would be more suitable to limit any distress.

I know the assessors have thoroughly investigated my disability by talking to my healthcare professionals on numerous occasions throughout the assessment, which I'm very pleased about.

I got a text from the DWP saying they have now received the written report back from the assessors (Which I've requested a copy from). I'm just wondering how long normally till you receive a decision from the DWP? It says up to 6 weeks on the text and when my carer asked for a copy they said a decision should be made within 10 weeks. It seems rather long but I'm assuming that is the case or does it usually happen quicker than that?

I also heard that when people have PBR that it doesn't usually go in our 'favour' because assessors prefer to do face to face assessments so it sometimes leaves people struggling to get the correct award for their disability. Although I can understand they may learn more about a disability by having face to face assessment, however when evidence and such has been given, surely that would be enough? It's just left me a little anxious.

Thanks all, have a great Sunday. :smile:


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nattie3 it usually takes anything from 6-8 weeks to receive a decision however this is just a guideline.

    In regards to your second question, a face to face assessment is so they can clarify what was stated on your form. Unless, you have supplied sufficient evidence to support your claim.

    Hope this helps. Keep us updated and let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.