Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
What do you think of Special?
In case you haven't seen it, Special is a new Netflix series where the main character has cerebral palsy.
It is a comedy. At the same time, on the plus side, it is educating the public about CP.
I just wondered what the community here thought about this series.
I don't want to give any spoilers away. But for me, it's great that Netflix have commissioned this series. A thing like this is long overdue.
However, it should be just the beginning.
Mostly the only famous people with CP are comedians. Is that the best we can do? Laugh at ourselves?
It does remind me of the days 100 years ago when the only way black person could become a celebrity was to become a singer or a comedian, laughing at themselves.
Am I being unfair?
I would like to see actors with CP and other disabilities playing regular parts in regular dramas.
I'd like to see actors with CP playing lead parts, heroes and heroines, looking cool, and being great role models.
Then we will know we've really arrived and not just being treated with a little corner of broadcasting time to "educate" the public with a laugh-sugared pill.
- 54K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 155 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 796 Work and employment
- 589 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 291 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.5K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 687 Chronic pain and pain management
- 706 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 937 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.