Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Living with someone when on universal credit

GarzaGarza Member Posts: 119 Pioneering
I was wondering what would happen if I claimed Universal credit and later moved in with my partner who works full time, at the moment i get ESA and PIP and it is my understanding that if we lived together I would lose all of my ESA and only be left with about £200 from PIP because I have a car, I feel the situation is very unfair and I imagine i cant be the only one in this situation


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    If your ESA is Income Related then yes you wouldn't be entitled to this if you moved in with your partner. This is because it's a means tested benefit and claiming it depends on household income.

    Claiming UC will also depend on household income because UC is a means tested benefit.

    It maybe worth putting both of your details into a benefits calculator to see if you would be entitled to any UC. You ESA award would be honoured if you claimed UC, so if you're in the WRAG it would be LCW, support group will be LCWRA.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.