Living with someone when on universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Living with someone when on universal credit

Garza
Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I was wondering what would happen if I claimed Universal credit and later moved in with my partner who works full time, at the moment i get ESA and PIP and it is my understanding that if we lived together I would lose all of my ESA and only be left with about £200 from PIP because I have a car, I feel the situation is very unfair and I imagine i cant be the only one in this situation

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If your ESA is Income Related then yes you wouldn't be entitled to this if you moved in with your partner. This is because it's a means tested benefit and claiming it depends on household income.

Claiming UC will also depend on household income because UC is a means tested benefit.

It maybe worth putting both of your details into a benefits calculator to see if you would be entitled to any UC. You ESA award would be honoured if you claimed UC, so if you're in the WRAG it would be LCW, support group will be LCWRA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.