I have been badly misinterpreted and lied about on a mental health assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have been badly misinterpreted and lied about on a mental health assessment

2»

Comments

• Aura
    Aura Community member Posts: 43 Pioneering
    True, I read some horror stories, but a lot of PIP is also refused and have to go to daunting places like court.  if I'm successful I will post my story to show that everything isn't bleak.  That's if I am successful.
    All women are equal.  Deeds, not words.
  • LB14
    LB14 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    @Craig72 I’m only just starting the whole process and it’s a total eye opener but yes, there are horror stories on so many forums but there is also lots of help out there.  You’ve come this far to tell your story and there are people in this community who can help guide you with sound advice or even just to talk and put the world to rights.  @CockneyRebel has hit the nail in the head with advising not to read all the horror stories, I did and it freaked me out completely.  I’ve taken the advice I was given about my questions on my situation and am focusing on that, and trying to encourage people to overcome their hurdles.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019

Hello @Aura Please can I advise I know wrote a lot to @Craig72. I wanted to share my experiences. Give the gentleman some positivity. Be supportive..

Yet I just wanted to add that I do focus and have had positivity. On the good assessments that have got myself results.

From the benefit system and need to say. Yes I lost certain aspects.

To make my life a little more difficult but I am here.

Please if I can make one important comment. Seek help and guidance in the whole process. Often accessing that can be very useful.

Make notes . Use the Benefit information we have make use of it. Use it for reference.

Another aspect of the whole benefit system is that a lot of members are successful. I am and was on many times.

What did help me was firstly have a idea of what to expect. Pretend your going for a job interview. You do not just go in and sit down. You find out about the company, rehearse any points you may like to raise.

Same here. When you get any forms . Usually come with booklets what to expect. Make notes. Use them, keep copies of any forms. Get those anyway after filing in.

Libraries do that for you or speak to CAB.

CAB are very informative, tell you how it is.  Use them. For form filling in forms and additional signposting. Simple questions to ask get an answer.

Grateful for advice and guidance always.

Find if you can help and guidance if you have a disability or condition or illness. Always a organisation or support group. Have a look on line.

Please ask the forum if you having problems.  Finding any.

I suggested this because had mental health support they came with me.  Had support worker put in a report and speak for me.

That is good to have.  I use a friend now and that does help.

The whole system we know of the stories the issues and problems.  I am here every day being part of the community champions team.

Being supportive, addressing and be advising our members.

Have time for every one.

The assessors are doing a role which many have critical of and like every role. There are good and bad assessors.

We as a community hear this all the time.  Feel for every one who has had that.  As I have as well . Also had good assessors who took the time to evaluate the information and gave me the right result. Add to that in the interview assessment was pleasant.

I only had objections to any physical assessment. Because you can do this. Says in the booklet. So do not.

You have a voice to say how you are.  Keep it short sentences no rambling.  Write a script before hand any points keep it simple and relevant.

Think what you are going to say.

Look at the form you have the copy and any descriptors.

All I can say please apply. Please if you need any guidance and advice be happy to help.

Understand the difficulties for every one.

I still get the anxiety sweats every time.  Any body would. 

Your be fine and just to reassure you are not alone.

Wishing you well for a positive outcome

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.