Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Advice, possibly quitting work

mumtothreemumtothree Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited May 2019 in Carer's allowance
hi I have a recently diagnosed 17 year old, he hardly leaves the house and just sits in his room, my query is I work 30 hours a week this appears to be increasing each week and I’m struggling with childcare for my younger child as my 17 year old looks after him. I’m thinking about giving up work completely to care for my autistic 17 year old as I feel he is needing me more and more each day, also to take the pressure off him, will I be entitled to do this and how would I get the ball rolling? I just don’t know what else to do, I’ve always worked but as a single mum it’s becoming more and more difficult to arrange childcare, my 17 year old says he doesn’t mind babysitting but I feel it’s becoming too much for him, any advice on this would be great. 
Thank you

Replies

• ThreesticksThreesticks Member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Hi and welcome , I'm no expert on this, but maybe this is a starting point for you. I'm sure there are far more qualified to answer your question than myself.

If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's not as simple as giving up work. Universal credit is the only benefit possible to claim now and a sanction could quite possibly be given if you quit work, even to look after your children.

Does your 17 year old claim PIP or DLA?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mumtothreemumtothree Member Posts: 3 Listener
    He gets high rate pip for his autism and hyper mobility 
    Is that daily living or mobility part? If it's the daily living part which will allow you to claim the carers element of universal credit, you can still be sanctioned for 6 months for giving up work and you'll most likely need to send some evidence to support your reasons for quitting your job.

If you do claim UC then any housing benefit and tax credits you claim will transfer to UC. Housing benefit will be paid for a further 2 weeks once you claim UC. It takes 5 weeks to receive your first UC payment.

I would visit your local CAB for a full benefits check and further advice before quitting your job.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mumtothreemumtothree Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Brilliant thank you I am on the hunt for something with less hours so I can be at home a bit more... thanks for the advice 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,299 Disability Gamechanger
    You do not do anything until you have 

a) sought face to face advice about your benefit choices, and,
    b) spoken to your employer with regard to your options.
  • ThreesticksThreesticks Member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    @mikehughescq Sound advice.
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.

I would visit your local CAB for a full benefits check and further advice before quitting your job.
    Which is exactly what i advised here.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,914 Scope community team
    Hi @mumtothree, how are you getting on? Have you come to any decision? 

Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.