I need help applying for severe disabilty premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need help applying for severe disabilty premium

Colin63
Colin63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I need help applying for severe disabilty premium for my brother in law who has had a stroke and cannot do it himself.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What benefits does he claim? There's criteria to be able to claim the severe disability premium. With no information it's impossible to give any advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Colin63, as Poppy explains, the severe disability premium has several criteria. In addition, it is part of other benefits (for example, income-related employment and support allowance, income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, housing benefit or pension credit).

It doesn't exist by itself.

The criteria are very specific, including 'living alone' (if a claimant does live with other people, their situation needs to be checked too, as sometimes it is still possible to qualify).

So without more information I'm afraid we can't advise you. Maybe you could let us know:

• what income-based benefits your brother-in-law is currently claiming (this could be income-related ESA, income support, income-based JSA, housing benefit or pension credit)
    • whether he gets PIP, DLA or attendance allowance, and if so, what rate of these benefits, and which components in the case of PIP & DLA
    • who he lives with, and if he doesn't live alone, more details about who he lives with (eg age, relationship to your brother-in-law, and what benefits the other people in the household are claiming)
    • finally, whether anyone receives carer's allowance because of caring for your brother.
    If you can supply a bit more information, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.