Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

SDP Premium

Tandy20Tandy20 Member Posts: 5 Connected
edited May 2019 in Universal Credit
I have just won my PIP Appeal after a year, do I have to call ESA to have my SDP included again 


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    If you are on irESA (or 'old style' contribution-based ESA, which means you have NOT gone into the UC system - so you haven't claimed UC, and you claimed ESA before your area was part of the UC full service), then yes, you should call ESA to have your SDP reinstated.

    You would need to meet all the conditions:

    PIP daily living (which I assume you have now)
    living alone (although some people are ignored for this rule)
    no one gets carers allowance for you (people who claim it but don't receive it because of another benefit are ignored).

    If you've met these conditions all along, apart from the PIP award, then you should also get arrears (backdating) of the SDP going back to when you lost your PIP or DLA.

    I've assumed in this advice that you used to get the SDP before (presumably, in income-related ESA). 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    To add to the advice above, you will also need to wait for your PIP payments to restart before applying for the SDP.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.