F2F — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

F2F

sheZZa
sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
im feeling very nervous and very anxious tonight. I have my PIP F2F tomorrow so you’ll all understand why. Trying to get proof of identity paperwork together but I have shredded all recent bills etc. I do have birth certificate and driving licence though. Not a good start! 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    That's enough evidence to take with you, good luck and let us know how it goes. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Birth certificate isn't needed, just your driving license will be fine. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Best of luck @sheZZa, let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sheZZa
    I’ve just got back from my f2f. We had to park little way from the building and I saw the officer watch me struggle to walk in. I then needed the loo and she sat outside and waited for me as I had said it was a long way for me to walk to. We went into her office where she introduced herself and told me she was a physiotherapist. She was quite pleasant but pushed me for an answer a few times. The more anxious and upset I got the more reassuring she seemed to get telling me that the assessment was nearly over. She had no knowledge of any of my illnesses other than fibromyalgia which she prompted me on. She had a little idea about mental health but not much. She allowed my son to speak too. I feel she explained things quite well and why she was asking certain questions and also told me what ones everyone was asked as routine even if  they didn’t really apply. She did ask me if I could drive to which I said yes but found it very painful now so very rarely did and, if I did it was a very short journey to my parents which I have been doing for 40 years. I think this will go against me on mobility and getting around. At the end of the assessment she explained that she would write a report and send it to the case manager who will make a decision as it wasn’t up to her and that I would hear within 4-6 weeks.  She also said that I would probably be called for another f2f in a few years time!! When the assessment had finished she just started chatting and told me that she also lived where I lived and whereabouts...! I felt that it wasn’t to bad but who can tell so I’m trying not to overthink things as I don’t want to become to stressed and anxious again. I will try and wait patiently for my brown envelope. I’m glad it’s over and hopefully done with. 
  • sheZZa
    @Adrian_Scope
    @poppy123456
    @wilko
    sorry I forgot to tag you to let you know how I got on.
    My son has just said that I got it wrong and the assessor said that I might be called for a review in 10 years, 3 year’s or 1 year. Goodness knows how she knows that when she doesn’t make the decision! Xx
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @sheZZa She would know that because those are the timescales they work to all the time. Bearing in mind they contact people 1 year before the award ends so 3 years becomes 2 as in my case. You can ring DWP and ask for a copy of your PA4 to be sent to you. That's the assessment report. Your assessment company send them to DWP so ignore any info. that says you can't have it till after the decision. That's not true. That will give you a good idea what your award will be as the decision makers rarely change what the assessor has recommended your award should be. Good luck.   
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessor will make a recommendation for a review time but the DWP will set the length of your award.
    You should ask for a copy of the assessment report in a few days
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sheZZa
    @wildlife
    @CockneyRebel
    Thanks to both of you. I will request a copy next week.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    They ask about driving because this shows manual dexterity, strength, stamina and concentration.  So, if it went against someone this would be in the daily living component, not mobility.  However, making occasional short journeys should not go against you.

Assessor didn't ask about my driving - but tribunal asked a lot of questions about it.  I was awarded standard both after assessment, enhanced both after tribunal.

Of course, I hope you get the award you want after assessment.
  • sheZZa
    @Matilda
    Thank you for your reply. We did discuss the weakness in my arms and hands and that I struggled in the kitchen and dropped things and burned myself due to pain and weakness. I told her that as a result of this I had been assessed by Occupational Health who applied for a grant and I was due to have an adapted kitchen fitted next month. I did say that I occasionally, not very often, drove very short distances and that I used patient transport for hospital appointments etc. I have so many complex illnesses it was very hard to make her understand what they were, their symptoms and how debilitating they all are.

I really hope it doesn’t go against me but I’m going to try not to stress about it. I’m very pleased that your tribunal was successful although I am cross that you had to go through that. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    It's wrong that the HCP mentioned about review times because they're not supposed to do that. Once you receive the report, use the PIP descriptors to compare those ticks/dots to see what score, if any is recommended. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheZZa
    @poppy123456
    thank you for your reply and advice. I was very surprised that she mentioned it. I was also very surprised that she told me that she lived near me. I’ve got everything crossed.
  • sheZZa
    I had my assessment on Tuesday. I have had the assessor call me this morning. The DWP wanted more questions about me driving and going out and I may be called in for another assessment.  During my assessment  I had said that I occasionally drive to my parents which is less than two miles away. She asked today how often did I do that and I replied every 2/3 weeks as my mother comes to me once a week. She also wanted to know when I drove to the local shop which is very rarely.  It is so close it is walking distance but I can’t walk that far. She also wanted to know how many hospital appointments I attend per year. This year I have at least four and I will get there by patient transport. She wanted to know how often I use public transport which I do not. I cannot remember the last time I did but I do have an appointment later this month which is not hospital related and was only made yesterday. I am planning to use public transport (train) as I am unable to get there by any other means.  I cannot always leave the house due to my other illnesses but also due to Bipolar. In a manic episode I can go out and stay out sometimes on my own. I will not go home and become aggressive if someone tries to take me home. This was not discussed. When in a depressive episode I cannot get out of bed, wash, eat, have low self esteem and feel worthless. This was discussed but not as in as much depth as it could have been. I was very distressed at the appointment. Today She wanted to know what medication I took for my panic attacks and anxiety but I take medication for my bipolar which  is also to treat the anxiety and panic attacks of which I told her. For the first time in years I
    am going on holiday to Spain.Obviously I will be going by plane which I am very nervous about but want to try. I will have to take medication to get me on the plane. The holiday was booked when I was in a manic episode. I did not mention this as I did not think it is relevant as it’s not something I even occasionally do. Can anyone please advise. I’m out of my mind with worry in case I have unintentionally done something wrong? TIA
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you answered the questions well.  You can only wait and see what the assessor's report and DWP decision say.  No-one can really predict what the DWP's decision will be.  If your assessment has finished, you can ask DWP in a few days' time for a copy of the assessor's report which should arrive about 10 days later.   The report will give you a good guide to the DWP's decision.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    sheZZa said:
    The DWP wanted more questions about me driving. During my assessment  I had said that I occasionally drive to my parents which is less than two miles away. She asked today how often did I do that and I replied every 2/3 weeks  She also wanted to know when I drove to the local shop which is very rarely.  It is so close it is walking distance but I can’t walk that far. 
    She also wanted to know how many hospital appointments I attend per year. This year I have at least four and I will get there by patient transport. She wanted to know how often I use public transport which I do not but I do have an appointment later this month which is not hospital related and was only made yesterday. I am planning to use public transport (train) as I am unable to get there by any other means.  
    I cannot always leave the house due to my other illnesses but also due to Bipolar. In a manic episode I can go out and stay out sometimes on my own. I will not go home and become aggressive if someone tries to take me home. This was not discussed. When in a depressive episode I cannot get out of bed, wash, eat, have low self esteem and feel worthless. This was discussed but not as in as much depth as it could have been. I was very distressed at the appointment. Today She wanted to know what medication I took for my panic attacks and anxiety but I take medication for my bipolar which  is also to treat the anxiety and panic attacks of which I told her. For the first time in years I
    am going on holiday to Spain.Obviously I will be going by plane which I am very nervous about but want to try. I will have to take medication to get me on the plane. The holiday was booked when I was in a manic episode. I did not mention this as I did not think it is relevant as it’s not something I even occasionally do. Can anyone please advise. I’m out of my mind with worry in case I have unintentionally done something wrong? TIA
    The ability to be able to drive, even a short distance is currently something that the DWP/assessors are hot on. They can and do argue that being able to drive uses both physical effort as well as mental ability. It's a common scenario and a question that they always tend to ask. You say that you don't use public transport but admit to using the hospital 'bus' service and you are intending to use a train (public transport). Think about how you will/are able to make those journeys and telling the assessor that you don't do public transport?
    Would the medication side effects contradict using public transport or driving?
    You admit that you will be flying to Spain. How would that fit with your inability to use public transport?

Those are some of the things that they may well be looking to ask you about. I agree it does sound crazy that disabled people can obtain a car through Motability but in the main they are able to convince the assessor/DWP that they are safe driving and that the descriptors they are claiming do not contradict that ability.

When being asked a question take a few seconds before replying and think - why are they asking this and if it does contradict a previous statement be ready to explain why it doesn't.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.