PIP Appeal. Should I go? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal. Should I go?

TeddyB22
TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
I have an appeal tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should put myself through the humiliation of being turned down again.
I claimed mostly for depression and social anxiety Inc panic attacks. I also was diagnosed with sleep aponea and Barret's asophogas. Together they weren't that important but I had told the doctor I was being sick in my sleep and I was afraid.
We'll soon enough I aspirated in my sleep. I was ressusitated in the ambulance. I got  pneumonia then and contracted a virus that attacked my liver and heart. I was in hospital for 4 weeks. 2  months since I was released and I'm now on medication for high blood pressure and tablets for my liver for life. I cannot sleep and wake up with vomit in my throat. These are new problems and not the reason why I claimed in the first place.
I don't know what to bring (I'll be on my own). They sent a letter telling me not to send or bringn medical notes or evidence.
Just don't see the point in it all.
Many thanks
Teddy22.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Teddy22

You have a much better chance of being succesful if you attend, however the tribunal cannot consider any new or worstened condition since the date of your decision
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi @TeddyB22, sorry you are feeling anxious about your appeal. How did it go today? We are here if you need any support or guidance :)
    Scope

• TeddyB22
    Hi. Thanks for your replies and best wishes.
    I don't know how to put into words the pure nonsense they put me through today.
    I suffer from social anxiety and they Mage me wait 2 hrs to tell me I needed to bring back to them 4 years worth of doctors notes.
    Did I not get the he letter they asked. I got one but it says the opposite. It told me they weren't taking any more medical notes and not to bring any or even send any in.
    I think they could have phoned me and told me this. Wasted day and the stress of getting there on public transport, getting lost, dealing with nasty people (bus drivers) made me think of giving up. 
    Teddy22.
  • potatochipeater
    potatochipeater Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have had issues with my cpap machine. Extreme headaches/dry mouth etc.. sleep anepea is not great to have.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    TeddyB22 said:
    I suffer from social anxiety and they Mage me wait 2 hrs to tell me I needed to bring back to them 4 years worth of doctors notes.
    Did I not get the he letter they asked. I got one but it says the opposite. It told me they weren't taking any more medical notes and not to bring any or even send any in.
    I think they could have phoned me and told me this. Wasted day and the stress of getting there on public transport, getting lost, dealing with nasty people (bus drivers) made me think of giving up. 
    Teddy22.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'd advise you to send them the evidence they requested, rather than "bring" it back to them. The sooner you send it the sooner you'll have another hearing date. It's free to request digital copies of your medical records from your GP but you have to pay for paper copies.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TeddyB22
    I'm really at the end here. I've been living with my brother since I aspirated and the doctor and psychologist recommended I don't go back to my old address because of the harassment. I've felt so guilty putting this pressure on him. I pay for everything, electric, gas, internet, food, diesel. So I'm trying to get other accommodation but being on ESA means my application for housing is weak.
    Now here comes the worst thing. I know my brother has been abusing my wee dog. He's the only thing I have in this world that I care about. He's been nervous and just out of sorts. I've seen little cuts n bruises on him. I caught him kicking him. Dogs are babies. You should not hurt them. It took all the strength I had not to stab my brother in the face. I mean a little dog. I love his kids. I spent so much money on them. I feel like I'm about to throw my life away over a dog. I don't care what happens about pip. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @TeddyB22, this sounds really rough and you don't need the additional worry of a difficult your housing situation when you're waiting for PIP and having to process all that.
    How are you doing today? Has the situation calmed down any? How's your dog?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • TeddyB22
    Hi Adrian. 
    Thanks for your reply.
    Dog is good but I'm anxious to get him out of here.
    I can't seem to catch a break with any housing agents. They keep saying my application isn't strong enough, which is code for 'we don't accept people on benefits'.Sometimes you don't get a reply.
    I don't know where to start with the PIP thing. Do I get in touch with the Citizens Advice? Tbh I've never had them really do anything for me I can't do myself. I guess I'll wait for my appeal date then ask the doctor for her notes. I'm not sure how much that costs but considering its £20 per letter is going to be steep.
    Take care,
    Teddy22.
  • TeddyB22
    TeddyB22 said:
    Teddy22.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'd advise you to send them the evidence they requested, rather than "bring" it back to them. The sooner you send it the sooner you'll have another hearing date. It's free to request digital copies of your medical records from your GP but you have to pay for paper copies.
    Hi Poppy. I rang the PIP Appeals Services and they told me that I have to bring my medical evidence with me and I'll be better waiting till I receive a date for my appeal. The lady said I should have enough time then to ask the doctor for the information.
    I'm worried about asking for this evidence from my doctor as when I told her I was applying for PIP she told me I should be working, that everyone has stress and anxiety and get on with it. She did though write me a letter for ESA.
    My Psychologist might be ok she seems ok more understanding.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.