Carer claiming pip for mobility issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Carer claiming pip for mobility issues

Spudster Member Posts: 4 Listener
My husband is my full time carer he has just been diagnosed  with generalized sensory motor atonal peripheral neuropathy in his lower limbs he has pain numbness and sharp shooting pains in his ankles and feet he  is under a consultant and having more test he is struggling  bad with walking so has applied for pip can he get mobility part of pip and still get carers .


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Spudster and welcome to the community! Here is what I found on Carers UK:
    If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP for yourself and this will not affect your Carer’s Allowance.
    It also might be helpful for your husband to fill out the PIP self help test online which would give him a vague indication about whether he would be awarded with PIP. However, this is based on your interpretations which isn't necessarily what an assessor would put- but definitely worth a look before putting a claim in!

    Hope this helps and very best of luck if you do put a claim in :)

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,576 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @Spudster!

    I hope @ilovecats and @Chloe_Scope have answered your question but if you need any more help please don’t hesitate to ask. :)
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Spudster

    The simple answer is yes, your husband can claim PIP whilst being your Carer.

    I would recommended that he seeks, advice from a welfare rights officer, for them to assist with the claims process.

    Keep us informed.
  • Spudster
    Spudster Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for  all your comments really helpfull i will tell him to get advice as well.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Connected
    ilovecats said:
    Claiming carers allowance would indicate a certain level of ability so he most likely will not get a daily living award. 

    With regards to mobility, the diagnosis is not as important, rather how it affects him. You would need to evidence how and why he cannot walk more than 50m repeatedly to gain even a standard award. 
    Absolutely. The DWP will have the opportunity of looking at her claim for DLA/PIP in order to see if there is any conflict with what she claims to have difficulty with + the fact that her husband has said that he cares for her for at least 35 hours a week. It is quite common place now in these types of cases for the DWP to include the partners claim form for a Tribunal hearing.
     More attention is now given to see if claiming carers contradicts a claim.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.